Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Can we use a external microphone for hero 7 black in karma grip?

You can use an external microphone with the HERO7 Black, @joecity. The setup will be camera connected to the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter connected to an external microphone. For a list of recommended external microphones, you can check this link: https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/External-Microphone-Recommendations

It is also important how to operate the camera depending on which type of microphone you are using. You can read more about this here.  I hope this helps. 

Tourist

It still sucks, period... And the overpriced audio adapter is half the size of the camera and also breaks easily as I am now on my 3rd adapter.... Why is it that Yi can simply make and sell a type c to 3.5mm audio cord that always works and GoPro cant? Ps. tha Yi cord is only $10

Tourist

the whole point of the hyper smooth gopro hero 7 black is that you DO NOT NEED TO USE THE STABILIZER GRIP lol....

Sightseer

After all these years, still no 3.5mm mic input. The adapter is just terrible.

GoPro would immediately become the vlogging camera of choice with a mic is input. They've missed out on a huge market segment.
Sightseer

May I use external mic with Go pro 7?

Explorer

@bolddusk30474 

Yes.  You will need the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter.  See this article for External Microphone Recommendations

Also, Please note the following"

1. The reserved power bias for external mics is 2.5V.
  2. GoPro mic input impedance is 2.2 kOhms in the STANDARD MIC and STANDARD MIC+ settings.
  3. ​GoPro mic input impedance is 47kOhms in the POWERED MIC and POWERED MIC+ settings.
  4. GoPro LINE IN input impedance is 8kOhms.
  5. The external mic connection is Unbalanced (3.5mm stereo)
  6. SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT QUICK CAPTURE and HERO7 Black, HERO6 Black/ HERO5 Black/ HERO5 Session when using a Pro 3.5mm Mic Adaptor:
    1. Non-Powered Microphones will not work when starting a video using Quick Capture (with the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adaptor).
      1. Use a powered microphone if the customer needs to use Quick Capture.
      2. If the customer is unable to use a powered microphone, simply power the camera on first and then start a recording.
Sightseer

@danielr15 

You mention you can do this, are you able to do it with the GoPro in the Karma Grip itself?  From the other responses, it appears one can't seem to do this?

Explorer

I was replying to bolddusk30474 who only mentioned using an external mic with the 7.

External mics will not work with the Karma Grip. Sorry for the confusion.