Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Can the GPS data be exported to a separate .gpx file?

[ New ]

On HERO 7 can the gps route data be exported to a .gpx file?  

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Can the GPS data be exported to a separate .gpx file?

[ New ]

Thanks Ann,

I had planned to test using DashWare, but unfortunately, I am running Windows 10 on Parallels Desktop on a MacBook Pro.  So far, the software installed Ok, but will not come up - Error message "This app can't work on your PC".  So, I've got other issues, it seems, before being able to test the separation of gps route data (to a .gpx file) from the GoPro video file.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jmtag,

You can check out this thread, indicating tools that can be used for GPS extraction. See if that will work for you as well.

Kind Regards,

Ann

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks Ann,

I had planned to test using DashWare, but unfortunately, I am running Windows 10 on Parallels Desktop on a MacBook Pro.  So far, the software installed Ok, but will not come up - Error message "This app can't work on your PC".  So, I've got other issues, it seems, before being able to test the separation of gps route data (to a .gpx file) from the GoPro video file.

GoPro

[ New ]

@jmtag, DashWare runs on all versions of Windows from XP through Windows 8.1. You may check this article for further details. The solution provided by one of the Hub members in this thread has worked for some users. See if that helps as well.

Tourist

[ New ]

Any way for a Samsung S3 tablet running Android 9 to extract metadata from the MP4 file?

When I try the Telemetry Extractor on my MP4 file containing the guages, it says "No telemetry data found". 

Nomad

[ New ]

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/

The above website have a very quick and handy telemetry extractor.  I use this to extract GPS data and then use it to play back flight info through google earth.

When you say you're trying to extract telemetry from an MP4 file with gauges, do you mean you're using a rendered file with the guages visible on it?  If so, then there is no telemetry data on that file.  The GPS data has already been rendered and any file you have with gauges on it is essentially a brand new finished file with no data on it.

You can only extract telemetry from the original file, not a rendered file.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @efriday

You may try to add GPS stickers using GoPro App for Mobile.

• Overlay the GPS path of your route
  • Pinpoint your location using a map sticker
  • Display the g-force you felt accelerating or changing direction
  • Add the GoPro logo to your videos

For reference: How to Use GPS Performance Stickers

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

yes, I guess I am using the "rendered" video file with visible guages.

so how would I get to the "original" file? I have a PC, but wish to use my android tablet.

Nomad

[ New ]

@efriday This tool should work on most tablets, although that will be slower than using it on a desktop.

https://tailorandwayne.com/gopro-telemetry-extractor/