Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Can't Update To 1.57? Low Battery Message? Battery at 100%? GPB5

Hi There!

Just trying to update my GoPro Black 5 but have no luck!?

I tried with Quick (OSX) but i get a message saying that my battery is low on power but it isn't it is 100%?

Then I tried to update manually and still get the message, low battery?

Can someone confirm this? Or do someone got a Fix?

Kind Regards

Daniel

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Can't Update To 1.57? Low Battery Message? Battery at 100%? GPB5

Thanks for the replies!

Fixed the problem myself.

I don't know why but the camera was reporting that the battery was charged at 100% also the display showed 100% (but it was not correct). After trying to update via quick app which wasn't possible because of a warning about "Low Battery" i tried to update manually but even here the camera reported that the battery was to low to update (the display still showed me 100%) so i thought that something has to be wrong with the camera or battery but after resetting the camera to "default factory settings" i was able to update the camera to version 1.57 after charging the battery! After the resetting the battery was at 21% and not 100% as the camera was showing before the update. Hope that helps other users with the same problem.

Kind Regards!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Hello,

I would contact support about this issue. 

Does your camera detect battery percentage properly when used to take photos/video?

Have you tried closing Quik and reopening it? Maybe the update wasn't downloaded properly.

I like to use the Capture app to update. It seems to work better.

Backpacker

Try removing your battery and SD card and hold the side button for 30 seconds. Insert only the battery and turn the camera on with the side button. Check the battery %. Let the battery discharge to about 75%. Turn the camera off and remove the battery again.

Reformat your SD card in your computer and then put the Update for on it.

Insert your SD card and battery and turn the camera on. If you get the error again, turn the camera off and plug it in to a wall charger. Turn it back on. Hopefully the update will run.

If not, you're going to have to contact the GoPro Support Team. The link is in the front page of support, "Contact Sales and Support".

The manual update is generally the most stable way to update your camera and resolve any issues.
Tourist

Thanks for the replies!

Fixed the problem myself.

I don't know why but the camera was reporting that the battery was charged at 100% also the display showed 100% (but it was not correct). After trying to update via quick app which wasn't possible because of a warning about "Low Battery" i tried to update manually but even here the camera reported that the battery was to low to update (the display still showed me 100%) so i thought that something has to be wrong with the camera or battery but after resetting the camera to "default factory settings" i was able to update the camera to version 1.57 after charging the battery! After the resetting the battery was at 21% and not 100% as the camera was showing before the update. Hope that helps other users with the same problem.

Kind Regards!

Sightseer

I'm having the same problem - when I power up battery was showing 100% but I know that's not accurate - so I started recording a video and after a few seconds the battery displayed the accurate charge at 30%. I put in on a USB wall charger and no lights are lighting up.
Sightseer

Ok - once I got enough charge - it went through this weird flashy light thing and camera icon with a bouncing arrow - I'm guessing that was the update - and now everything is working perfectly fine - displaying correct battery - lights are turning on when charging - I'm guessing it was all related to trying to update on a low battery - I upset it!
Sightseer

I had a same issue and I tried everthing above, but didnt work for me. Generaly problem is in the wrong percentage of the battery.

This problem is made by trying to make software update before the battery is completely charged. So when you try to make an update before your battery is charged, you will get the message "battery is low for update" 

To fix the battery percentage just go to the menu of the camera, find 3rd button from the bottom of the list and press remove everything from SD card.(downloaded firmware!!!)

Turn off and back on, than wait until your battery is charged completely and then try to update again.