Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Can't Live Stream Using Hot Spot

First - to be perfectly honest, I hate GoPro. It is clunky, hard to use and is notorious for bugs and fails al the time. But I am stuck with it. So I need to get this to work. And to be more honest, I really don't expect this to ever work... because it is a GoPro (see my first point).

I am trying to connect to my hot spot. My hot spot is ON. But when I try to set up a live stream to connect to the hot spot, it says "turn on hot spot". I push it and it takes me to my settings where the HOT SPOT IS ALREADY ON.

So I turn off the hotspot and turn it back on. Still no luck. I turn off wifi, turn on hotspot. I turn off hotspot, disconnect bluetooth, reconnect everything, and still no hotspot connection to gopro. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have updated firmware. I have done everything all the other people who have this issue have tried and nohting works.

I have tried this a dozen times. Indoors, outdoors, with wifi on, with wifi off, with my dog in the car, with the windows open and even standing on one foot while holding the app in my left hand balancing the camera on my head with my wifi connection underneath me.

Honestly, I have tried connecting to my hotspot literally 40 times. And of these 40 times, it has connected to the hotspot exactly TWICE. That is a whopping 5% percent of the time. Oh, wait... a 5% success rate... not bad for a GoPro, actually.

I have a GoPro 7 Black. (God, I hate even typing the name, it fills me with rage). And an Iphone X. Unlimited data plan. EVERYTHING is UPDATED. Firmware, phone, app, etc.

What am I doing wrong (besides thinking the GoPro will actually work one day)?

I have removed the app, shut down the phone, whatever "trick" you have, I have tried. The two times I got it to work I did absolutely NOTHING different. It just decided to work. Like I said. I hate GoPro. They are unreliable. 

At least I can always rely on my iPhone as a backup to my GoPro. As you can imagine, I use my iPhone a lot and my GoPro very little. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Can't Live Stream Using Hot Spot

There is currently an issue with live streaming through the GoPro App using hotspot. Our team is aware of the issue and working on it. We will post an update once we have new information. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the quick reply, but don't take this personally. I will believe it when I see it. Your product is just too unreliable. It is ALWAYS something.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bluewater2228

Live streaming via hotspot should be good on Android now.

iOS is still being worked on.

We will provide another update once we have new information.

Thanks!

Ej