Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Can't Find Media

I was preparing for a dive trip and noticed that my GoPro SD was full, I erased a few videos through the app and freed up about 20 minutes worth of video footage.

I took the GoPro out the next day, I took about 5 videos and I watched the 20 minutes of free space on my gopro get smaller and smaller, so I assumed I was recording. I ended the day with about 5 minutes of free storage - so thats about 15 minutes worth of video for the day.

I am now trying to access those videos, but nothing is showing up. It's like they don't exist. Weird part is when I turn on my GoPro its still at the remaining 5 minutes of free storage. So where did my video's go? The only thing I did different, was for the first time, I did remove the flash drive, so that I could put it into my new GoPro 8. Did this somehow delete the most recent activity?

For testing I did take a random 5 second video (on my new gopro), and it's showing up on my app.

I'm not really sure what is going on. Really hoping I can get the video back since I thought I took some cool footage.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Can't Find Media

Hi @samanthac615

What SD card are you using?

Are you still able to play the files on the camera?

It will be best to access the files through a computer using an SD card adapter.

How to Import Camera Files to a Computer - Windows 10

How to Import Camera Files to a Computer - Mac

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @aragon1006 I'm using the SanDisk extreme that I believe had come with my GoPro 3+. I was never able to play files on my GoPro 3 only the app, which the new video isn't there.

I did try importing the files into my Chromebook, and I still don't see it. It's just really odd that the camera counted down the available storage, but the videos are missing.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @samanthac615

If you haven't yet, please check the files using an SD card adapter.

While we do not have any preferred methods of data recovery as this may vary from SD card manufacturers of the preferred methods for recovering your data, you may be able  find various data recovery options to recover the footage that had been lost. Yet, please do your research on whichever data recovery software is best for you as it may require activation of the software and there may be varying costs. It is also best not to record any new photos and or videos with the card that had been used. This will overwrite the  files that may have been on there to where it would not be possible to recover. 
I do recommend to reach out to the SD card manufacturer to further troubleshoot the SD card. 

Thanks!

Ej