Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Can I use an external mic with the GoPro Max?

I want to record binaural audio with an external mic on the GoPro Max. Is this possible?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Can I use an external mic with the GoPro Max?

This is 100% correct, the GoPro Max (or Fusion) does not support external microphones.

When recording our flights I tend to use a setup along the lines of this.

GoPro Fusion mounted on left wing tiedown (or GoPro Hero 6 mounted on left wing tiedown looking at plane)

GoPro Hero 8 mounted on right wing tiedown looking forward (GoPro Hero 4 with extended battery pack if it's a longer flight)

GoPro Hero 6 mounted just above TailWheel

GoPro Hero 6 mounted in cockpit window (looking out) with microphone adapter capturing cockpit audio.

GoPro Hero 8 in shirt pocket for handheld video or photo's.

The reason being that I find the 360 view just works better when mounted outside the airplane.  When mounted inside the airplane  distortions are evident whether it be due to stitching issues from being so close to the suction mount, the lighting inside vs outside leaving a visible division line in the picture etc.  

For background audio noise (engine noise etc) I have a small audio recorder that is much more suitable for recording as it has adjustable gain levels that can be set before recording.  That way there's no overdriving of the audio leading to pops or audio loss.  Plus it's handy to place anywhere in the cockpit or cargo compartment.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]
Also having issues with this. I’m trying to record cockpit transmissions, but there doesn’t seem to be the same audio menu available as in the other GoPro’s. All I’m getting is sound from the onboard microphones as opposed to what I’m hearing in my headset. I’m currently using a nflightcam adapter. Any ideas?
Highlighted
Sightseer

I am also interested in this. I recently purchased the Max and am just now seeing that it does not accept an external microphone.

Highlighted
Tourist

g-love105 did you use jack-type C to connect from the adaptor to the gopro max? 

Highlighted
Hiker

I tried it last night using the USB-C adapter from GoPro and it did not work.  No mic settings showed up on the MAX like they do on a Hero 5 or above and the only mic that worked was the one on the camera.

Highlighted
Nomad

You can't use an external microphone with the GoPro Max or the GoPro Fusion.  The simple reason being that anything attached to the side of the camera (even a USB cable) will result in stitching artifacts.  As a result, external microphones or the GoPro Microphone adapter are not supported by the Max.

I would suggest using the feedback section in the "Contact Us" page to ask for Bluetooth microphone support in future camera models.

Highlighted
Hiker

That makes perfect sense, but we need to make sure this external mic supports a wired connection as well.   Many of us use a wired connection because we are in a noisy environment.  Mine i use in my ultralight aircraft and hook it to the intercom.  I'll likely keep using my hero5 for that purpose, but I know being able to on the 360 would be good.  

Highlighted
Hiker

I bought the Max a couple of week's ago for my motorcycle youtube channel Back2TheBike. It's an upgrade from my existing Drift Ghost X in quality and the post-framing 360 capability. A bluetooth-type external mic would be really useful to mount inside m helmet's cheekpiece for in-ride comms and chat. Meanwhile, I've mounted the Max on my fuel tank, and will keep the Ghost X on my helmet. I'll run both on every ride and strip out the audio from the Ghost to mix with the video/sound from the Max. Not perfect, unless anyone has a better idea?