Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Can I effectively connect and external audio mixer (e.g. Zoom L8) via 3.5 input?

[ New ]

I just got off GoPro support chat, where I was told that an external audio mixer won't work with GoPro if connected via 3.5 input. That sounds... not right to me, but I really want to confirm either way before I buy a GoPro. I'm using a Zoom L8 mixing console, and want to feed that audio into a streaming camera for my podcast recordings. The Mevo I'd been using with an older mixer was kind of a trainwreck, so I was hoping to upgrade to GoPro. For further perspective, I do my podcast in my (parked) car, so I don't have access to a desktop or laptop computer.

If anyone can help, I'd truly appreciate it.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Can I effectively connect and external audio mixer (e.g. Zoom L8) via 3.5 input?

[ New ]

All Replies
Tourist

Re: Can I effectively connect and external audio mixer (e.g. Zoom L8) via 3.5 input?

[ New ]

Hi there, I'm looking to do the exact same thing.  Did you have any success or hear back about this?

Tourist

[ New ]

I haven't heard anything! Seems like a missed opportunity if it can't be done.

Tourist

[ New ]

I found this section on GoPro's website in the media mod setup section for plugging in a microphone.  You can select 'Line In'  for use with audio equipment other than a mic.  According to GoPro's instruction it should work, so it's weird that their support says it wouldn't work.

OptionDescription
Standard Mic (default)Use with standard non-powered mics.
Standard Mic+Increases standard non-powered mic sensitivity by 20dB if the audio is not loud enough.
Powered MicUse with self-powered mics.
Powered Mic+Increases powered mic sensitivity by 20dB if the audio is not loud enough.
Line InUse with audio equipment other than a mic (mixer, guitar preamp, karaoke machine, etc.).
Tourist

[ New ]

That's great news. I can't find that info to save my life on the site... would you mind sharing the URL?

Here's the best I could find, which doesn't talk about external mixers:

https://gopro.com/en/us/shop/mounts-accessories/media-mod/AJFMD-001.html

Tourist

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Aha! Thank you.