Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Camera sitting in direct sunlight for hours - risk of overheating?

I like to record my son's baseball games.  I am concerned about having the camera exposed to the direct sunlight for hours - will it overheat and stop recording?  I ask this because I also use an iPad to record the plays, and it will overheat very quickly and go into shutdown mode.

Nomad

Re: Camera sitting in direct sunlight for hours - risk of overheating?

Anytime you leave something in direct sunlight you run the risk of overheating.  Moreso with phones and camera's as they are going to generate a certain amount of heat due to their small design and how much info they are processing.

You can try rigging a shade over the camera to keep the sun off it, also place a small battery fan nearby to blow air over the device to cool it.  

I had an issue with my camera overheating in my car window, my workaround was to turn on the front window demister.  It activates the A/C and directs the blast at the window, so it kep the camera nice and cool even on hot summer days.

GoPro

@grahamt4650, additionally, check out this article https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/camera-performance-in-extreme-temperatures for more information about the camera's performance in extreme temperatures.

Sightseer

Thanks for the tip.  The camera will be mounted to a fence and stationary.  Fine during night games - difficult to cool during a day game.  I appreciate the input.

Nomad

If you're mounting the camera to a fence, you can try picking up a small battery powered clip on fan and aiming it at the camera.  You can also mount some foil over the camera to keep the sun off it (just make sure the foil is a good few inches away from the camera) using some sticky tape and some chopsticks (to give it form and to stop it blowing around in the wind).