Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Camera shutdown in water

Hello,

The first time i use my gopro hero5 session under water it shutdown for 2 hours and only switch on again after that time, after that it worked fine under water. 

Should i be worried about that? Send it back for warranty?

Thanks

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Camera shutdown in water

Hi @coolshore13578,

Regarding the issue you were having, you may want to do some troubleshooting first, observe the camera and if the issue persists then you can contact the support team and check for warranty.

Meantime, you may want to check the following:

1. SD Card that you are using
- Please make sure that you are using the recommended SD Card which is found in the list: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

2. Software should be updated
- Even if your camera is in the latest software; it is still best to re-install the software of the camera by doing a manual update. Troubleshooting found in this list: https://gopro.com/update/hero5_session

I hope these help.

V.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

The card is a Samsung 64GB Micro SDXC Evo+ UHS-I U3 Class 10 and the camera sw is in it's latest version. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @coolshore13578,

Thank you for sharing that information. Checking on the list, the SD Card you are using is not listed. You said that the camera is on the latest software version, but have you tried doing a MANUAL UPDATE?

I would suggest to try an SD Card in the recommended list and see if it will still behave the same way. If so, you can definitely contact the support team:

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

V.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I use the camera since January with the mentioned sd-card without issues, so i think i don't have the need to expend more 40€ in another SD-card. 

I have not done the manual update since the camera is working fine right now, and it's already in the lastest version. 

It have failed in the cenario i told you, in the water, after 5 minutes, and right after dive. After that it shutdown for 2 hours (sort of) won't switch, won't do nothing, death... after that it came to life and worked fine in the water.  So i don't know what was the problem, poorly waterproof maybe, probably some water gets in, ... i don't know, this camera has supposed to be water proof up to 10 meters, i was in a pool of 2 meters.... 

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Just to mention that after it shutdown i connect them to the pc and no feedback from the camera, nothing, dead... I then connect them to the power source and also nothing, no charging leds, nothing, dead camera. It was connected for 1h30 maybe maximum. After this the camera have miraculously switch on. And yes when the camera died the battery was fully loaded.