Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Camera feels sticky

[ New ]

Took out my old Hero 2, which had been in a case and it feels sticky. What's up?

Backpacker

Re: Camera feels sticky

[ New ]
Your camera is very very old and rubber breaks down over time, especially if it's been used outdoors where it can be exposed to greases, petrochemicals etc which will speed up the breakdown process.
Tourist

[ New ]

Great. The camera was in storage and in the clear case. Regardless, Can it be used?

Adventurer

[ New ]

you can clean the stickiness off good luck

Tourist

[ New ]

What do I use to clean the pieces?

Backpacker

[ New ]
The rubber has broken down, you won't be cleaning it, you'll be removing it. You can't clean broken down rubber.
Adventurer

[ New ]

try baking soda and water mix  good luck

Tourist

[ New ]

Will give it a go.

Tourist

[ New ]

OK Everyone!

Believe it or not Baking Soda really works.

Now, how did you know?

I used a flat toothbrush and just a little water and made a paste and rubbed it in. Unbelievable. Worked like a charm. I used an electronics compressed gas Duster to air out the parts and am going to let the parts I cleaned sit for a while. I will rty and charge the battery and give it a go(Pro)!

Thanks,

Steve

Tourist

[ New ]

Your solution works!! How did you think of it?

Steve

Tourist

[ New ]

I plugged in the battery and recorded a little! I also cleaned the and charged the battery pack and LCD Screen. Everything works! Now I have a complete Hreo 2 and a Hero 3.

In addition to the Hero Black 8 I just added.

How do I go about selling the 2 and 3?

Steve

Sightseer

[ New ]

Baking soda worked for me too! Heavy slurry, rub it on hard with your fingers. Im sure the grit has alot to do with the cleaning. Tried Ammonia based Brasso polish and didnt do a thing to it. Its sitting in a jar of silica (dessicant) to completely dry it while the battery charges. I have a Nikon body grip that did the same thing, sticky mess. My GP2 was in the waterproof housing also in a shoebox. No petroleum based cleaners used or UV in a shoebox. Im blaming Ozone......really. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Windex Glass cleaner works well also, but will take some time to completely clean the case.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanls for the help. I used baking soda and it worked.