Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Camera crashing and freezing

[ New ]

I have the Hero 9 and I use it primarily for web cam usage.  When it works, it works fine but it often freezes up I have to pull the battery and start over almost every time (I do virtual chats 3 days per week).  It often will turn on randomly after its been turned off, sometimes when I am not in my office and rusn down the battery.  I've been dealing with this for quite awhile and finally decided to reach out.

Tourist

Re: Camera crashing and freezing

[ New ]

I've been having the same issue jsut recently. It was working fine all the other times we used it though now it wont take a battery or it overheats even when powered off with a battery inside. It freezes and I'm upable to update the firmware in it. Contacting the support for GoPro is so bad atm I can't even get the Captcha to let me in.

Have you tried a different SD card (if you use one) and tried updating the firmware? If you can..... I can't register mine either atm as the captcha (I'm not a robot thing) won't even let me do that.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @desiarnez2732 @livelylift46403

What SD cards are you using?

If you haven't yet, please try re-flashing the software. Follow the manual update steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

After the update, reset the camera. See Reset Camera Settings

Let us know how it goes.
If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Having the same issue. I used to have hero 7 and it was the same thing. Then one beatiful day it got snapped from my bike on a highway and I never seen it again. I thought: "great, now is the time to upgrade to the better version". I was naive thinking the new version will fix the oldest issue on this forum.

My hero 9 froze each time I shake it a bit. I cannot turn it on without pulling the battery out. I tried everything. I updated it manually, I changed the battery (which seems like helping a bit, but not bullet proof), I bought a faster sd card, I use the lowest resolution and frame rate. Nothing works.

Now I am trying to contact support entire week and they never called me back. I got an email from them yesterday saying: "we tried to reach you out, but your phone is invalid". What a lame exsuse. Of course my phone is valid and country code is there and I was home the entire day with the signal as usual. Tried to use order return form, but it says your order is invalid. Bought it from the gopro.com.

Sorry, for ranting here, just really disappointed with this product and company in general. And yes I have a subscription and my camera only 3 months old, doesn't make any difference.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @stanbrezh

We have sent a direct message.

Thanks!

Ej

Backpacker

[ New ]

Overheating may cause your camera to experience a thermal shutdown.  When this happens it can also cause corruption on your SD card which will in turn also cause your camera to free or shutdown........... which in turn will cause corruption on your SD card... which will cause your camera to freeze and shut down........ and so on.

1:  put your SD card in your PC, right click on the SD card, select properties, then select tools and "Error checking" to repair any SD card corruption.

2:  Keep your camera running cooler by removing the internal battery when using it as a webcam.

3:  If you're using it as a webcam, your camera is most likely stationary and not moving, so therefore turn off settings you won't need (WiFi, GPS, Hypersmooth).

4:  Make sure your displays are set to a minimum brightness level of 10% and they turn off after 1 minute.