Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Camera Overheating

Dear Gopro

i have purchased two HERO 8 black Cameras and very disappointed about the performance.

I dont know yet whether it is a product defect (i hope so) or it is a misleading marketing from your side.

The camera cannot record in 4K 60fps without shutting down for overheating after 30/40 min. (battery not empty and sd card not full).

The recording is in cool environment, without objects around, with original package sd card and battery, not using the APP.

I really like you to clarify in detail about this and not repeating always the same reccomandations.

Thanks

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Camera Overheating

Your camera is an action camera designed to record action oriented clips.  Trying to record for 30/40 mins at 4K @ 60FPS with image stabiliztion on , GPS on, WiFi on, and more than likely a high bit rate is going to put a huge strain on your camera and it will create heat.  Keeping it in a "Cool" place does nothing for the airflow around your camera.  Filming in a freezer may overheat your camera more than if you were diving out of an airplane for instance and the latter option increases airflow around the camera (plus sky diving lasts for about 2 minutes depending on altitude).

Perhaps if you describe what you're trying to record and where, users may be able to offer solutions as to how to solve your issue.

Highlighted
Hiker

recording 30min 4k60 on an action camera isn't so bad.  Remember that the camera is too small to have a large heatsink in it.

Remember for each item you turn on the cameras processor needs to do more work - 4k is more work than 1080, 60fps is more than 30, linear is more than wide, each level of stabilisation is more than the previous, high bitrate is more work than low, etc, etc, etc.  The more work it has to do the more heat the processor will generate.  The longer you record the longer it generate heat and the more heat  the camera needs to get rid of.

The battery may be toted as lasting longer but this is generally done using short bursts of video with the camera turned off in between.  The more bells and whistles above you have turned on the more power the camera will draw from the battery and this will mean that the battery will also get hot.  The longer ou are recording then the more heat the batteries will kick out.

The casing of the gopro is plastic and plastic is not good at conducting and radiating the heat away.  If you added a snug aluminium case onto it then the case wouldcbe better soaking the heat (the aluminium would want to get to the same temperature as the case and soaks up the heat reducing the max heat of the camera) out of the camera and radiating it into the air (aluminium is good at passing it's heat into the air so it looses more heat than plastic this way and there fore the aluminium case cools down ans it can then soak in more heat from the camera - providing there is enough contact between the case and the camera). 

You need good airflow over the camera no matter if it's in the case or not, the heat has to radiate into the are and airflow provides more cooling than still air.  A small fan nearby might help increase airflow and therefore cooling.

You could power the camera from an external power bank and remove the internal battery, this will stop the heat from battery usage adding to the heat of the camera processor.

Do you really need to record for longer lengths of time?  Action cameras are really meant to capture the moment rather than prolonged periods of time so quite often are used to video short clips.  If you really need to capture 1hr or longer clips then a camcorder might be the better option.

Highlighted
Adventurer

You got two great guys answering.  1 or 100 camera's. DJI  was the smart one allowing the LCD to shut down and continue the recording.  I could not get the camera to over heat in full.  GoPro on the opposite will simply  shut down not saying saving file, shutting down to over heat.  Just say over heat if itgets the chance?

Highlighted
Tourist

DearGOPRO 

your two answers are a "NO ANSWER" to my initial statement.

For your info, I did not want to record anything in particular. I was simply testing the camera out of the box.

With my great disappointment the camera cannot reach either the end of the battery or empty the 32 GB SD card.

Regrettably the camera shuts down because "IT IS TOO HOT". I simply set it to 4K 60FPS W, no other setting.

In one of your answer you even suggest the Alluminium case (... to dissipate heat better than plastic): why GOPRO doesnt even sell a Alluminum case as a standard accessory then?!

When you sell GOPRO 8 to us, your company is telling only part of the story, the beautiful part, smartly avoiding the ugly.

Other Companies just dont sell what they cannot achive in FULL. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Please remember that this is a members forum where answers are given by other Gopro users.  We are not employees of GoPro but users of the cameras who have came across similar issues and post the solutions that they use to overcome them.

As with other users we have had to work out the best way to use the GoPros to get the best out of them for us.  As with other cameras GPros are great in some use cases, but not so good in others.  As users we have had to learn in which case a GoPro is best to use and how to use it and also in which cases another camera would be the best.

If yu do not want users to comment on how they'e overcome the same issues you are having then don't post on a user forum.  If you do then when a user takes their time to respond to you please don't get all stroppy because it's not what you want to hear.

Highlighted
Nomad

I have two GoPro Hero 8's.  I can record 4K @ 60FPS until the batteries drain with no issue.  Then again I don't leave them on a table facing the wall recording using these settings because that would just result in a camera overheating.

Use the camera properly for it's intended use and you'll have no issues.

Use the camera in such a way as to promote overheating and guess what?

Highlighted
Tourist

How do you explain that in same condition ( ... and, by the way, not facing a wall ....) with the power from the battery the camera cannot reach the end of the battery or empty the card and shuts down for overheating, but with external power supply and no battery inside the camera reaches the battery drain point without overheating so much ??

Apparently is something to do with the battery or the way the battery is inserted and closed in the body.