Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Bricked Hero5 Session

[ New ]

Hello,

seems my Session 5 got bricked when I tried updating it to the latest firmware version. Currently the LED blinks red on the front side. LCD Screen is off and no duration or combination of button presses are doing something. Re-Inserting sd cards does not help either.

So I tried to update the firmware via the app and it seemed fine at first but got stuck at "1/2". After that I did a manual update and put the folder on my sd card, put it in the gopro and it got stuck at "2/2". Tried it again, but same result. Even different sd cards. I found out that the my sd cards, all SanDisk Ultra, caused problems for other people too. I have previously recorded with no problems to a SanDisk Ultra 64GB. Sometimes during all those attempts the LCD screen started to stay off. I borrowed a Toshiba Exceria 128GB but nothing happens, still only the red front led blinking all this time. (Update: the battery seems to be empty now, I tried charging the camera a bit (it gets warm), but it's not turning on or doing anything, seems to be completely dead now)

What should I do now?

Why are SanDisk Ultras not working for firmware updates? I understand that sd cards with not enough speed could cause problems when recording (which I had not), but I don't get it why it's causing the update to fail.

Nomad

Re: Bricked Hero5 Session

[ New ]

Charge it a while with no sd card in then format the card in a pc and try again

Adventurer

[ New ]

no pro here but we are not to use ultra's    been said over and over..

what is the fileFolders name and what is inside the filefolder?   and did you at least do a hard boot a long press. and retry not using Apps apps  just cause  interruptions when your phone rings texts come in and emaiils.  wh yI do it manually      

Tourist

[ New ]

@epicallyepicwrote:

Charge it a while with no sd card in then format the card in a pc and try again

That's what I'm currently doing. Shows no LED or anything, but it get's warm.

EXFAT is the preffered filesystem, right?

Tourist

[ New ]

@fishycomicswrote:

no pro here but we are not to use ultra's    been said over and over..

what is the fileFolders name and what is inside the filefolder?   and did you at least do a hard boot a long press. and retry not using Apps apps  just cause  interruptions when your phone rings texts come in and emaiils.  wh yI do it manually      

Sure but it's not really obvious, unless you specifically search for it and in my case it was already too late at that point.

The folders name is "UPDATE", which I extracted from the "UPDATE.zip". The folder contains the files:

• camera_firmware.bin
  • camera_loaders.bin
  • hd5_update.txt

Yes I tried long pressing (10 sec) the menu button. I won't use the app to update anymore.

Adventurer

[ New ]

If you are still stuck you more or less bricked the camera   UPDATE iscorrect, and  the three  files are correct.   if you fully formatted thecard, and manually updated wit hANY card  you  have no problem, but some how if it bricked by other means get to gopro.  and tel ltehm what you did on Mon-fri 6AM- closing PSF time