Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Brand new Hero (2018) my first GoPro and it’s having issues.

[ New ]
I just bought my first go pro today, Hero (2018). I recorded a couple short clips to test it out and immediately noticed that the audio was trash. I tried outside,inside, in a case, out of a case, ceiling fan on, ceiling fan off, on a tripod, in my hand and it all has the same audio issue. It sounds as if there is wind blowing or something going on with the audio. Definitely not clear and honestly I would have to mute all videos if I wanted to use footage. Has anyone had this issue or is it just an understanding that GoPro has trash audio? Like I said it is my first one so I am unfamiliar but I do feel it should be better. I will try to upload a clip for demonstration.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Brand new Hero (2018) my first GoPro and it’s having issues.

[ New ]

Hi @megavista50771

The dead air that is noticed when there is not much else to be heard in the footage is referred to as White Noise. Essentially, if there's no other audio for the camera to pick up, it will boost the AGC (Audio Gain Control) in an attempt to pick up any available audio and you can near more White Noise as a side effect.

The symptom will likely only be present when the scene is relatively quite, and the white noise will be most apparent when the surroundings are completely silent.

The sample you have shared goes to show that the camera is working fine, unless the white noise is such that it masks speaking or other normal activity audio.

Thanks!

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]
Here is a short clip demonstrating the sound quality issue. Thank you for your help!

https://vimeo.com/281921663
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @megavista50771

The dead air that is noticed when there is not much else to be heard in the footage is referred to as White Noise. Essentially, if there's no other audio for the camera to pick up, it will boost the AGC (Audio Gain Control) in an attempt to pick up any available audio and you can near more White Noise as a side effect.

The symptom will likely only be present when the scene is relatively quite, and the white noise will be most apparent when the surroundings are completely silent.

The sample you have shared goes to show that the camera is working fine, unless the white noise is such that it masks speaking or other normal activity audio.

Thanks!

Ej