Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Blurry video after uploading to YouTube

[ New ]

Hello GoPro Support- This past weekend I took some vids of a bike ride and after uploading and viewing it to YT it's not at the high HD quality I was expecting. One of the test vids can be viewed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVf8pyGl3Vs

In it you can see what I mean by "blurry" where it gets pixelated with the black dots/streaks. When I view it in iMovie this does not happen, it's only seen after I upload it to YT. 

So I'm trying to figure out how to fix this and think it might be in the settings I have on my Hero6 Black, which are:

Res: 1080

FPS: 30

FOV: Superview

Shutter: Auto

EV Comp: 0

ISO Min: 100

IOS Max: 1600

WB: Auto

Sharp: High

Color: GoPro

I assume there's nothing I can do to change the vids I've already shot, but asking if anyone has advice on the best settings or what I'm doing wrong here. 

Thanks. -JD in CT

GoPro test - still blurry

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Blurry video after uploading to YouTube

[ New ]
It's a bitrate issue. Did you render the movie in iMovie? Are you able to manipulate the output settings? Try 4k or 2.7k (even though it's filmed in 1080p). YouTube is ridiculous with what they will allow for bitrate.

If you are going to use 1080p you are best off using 60fps as YouTube allows up to 12 Mbps for 48, 50, and 60fps.

At 1080p/30fps, the max bitrate YouTube will allow is 8 Mbps

If you render your video as 1440p-2.7K/ you get 16 Mbps for 30fps and 24 Mbps for 60fps

If you render as 4K, you get 35-45 Mbps for 30fps and 53-68 Mbps for 60fps

Bit rates make a very big difference in how the video will look when played back on YouTube.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

[ New ]

Sharpness can be set to Low to help stop some of that artifact done by the camera and added in editing, its now 1080P on youtube  but  what rendering did you do to have lessquality and more struggling  for youtube?

Explorer

[ New ]
It's a bitrate issue. Did you render the movie in iMovie? Are you able to manipulate the output settings? Try 4k or 2.7k (even though it's filmed in 1080p). YouTube is ridiculous with what they will allow for bitrate.

If you are going to use 1080p you are best off using 60fps as YouTube allows up to 12 Mbps for 48, 50, and 60fps.

At 1080p/30fps, the max bitrate YouTube will allow is 8 Mbps

If you render your video as 1440p-2.7K/ you get 16 Mbps for 30fps and 24 Mbps for 60fps

If you render as 4K, you get 35-45 Mbps for 30fps and 53-68 Mbps for 60fps

Bit rates make a very big difference in how the video will look when played back on YouTube.