Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Blue and red dots

Hello,

Last night I tried to shoot with my new camera gopro 8 and I noticed red and blue dots in the video. I think it's a camera malfunction.
What do you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance.

Untitled-1.jpg
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Blue and red dots

It is a normal noise. At low light and high ISO the image will be noisy and there is nothing you can do about it. But you can minimize it by shooting in better light. How do you know if the light is OK? if you set your max ISO at 800 (maybe 1600 is still acceptable) and if the display still looks bright you are probably OK. If it is too dark you can up the max ISO but you will get noise. Shoot couple tests.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the answer, but it's not normal noise, as you can see from the other attached picture where I increased the exposure. You can see a bunch of static blue and red dots.
exposed.jpg
Highlighted
Nomad

Is this zoomed or full frame. In photography this still could be noise from long exposure - "hot pixels". To test if the camera is OK you may put it on tripod and in the photo mode so you can use different shutter speeds. Then try different combination of ISO and shutter speed and see if you can duplicate your posted photo.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Gopro has addressed the issue  and passed it to the Team  they do not have an answer to day but look in the future for one you are not alone, you can find hte topic that has 5 pages long on it.

Highlighted
Tourist

I've tried it all, this is not a zoomed image. I tested nightlapse in 4k, 2k and 1080, blue and red dots can be seen on each shot. The camera was on a tripod and this is not the only shot, I tried with a different lighting setting. Since this is obviously a malfunction within the device itself, my main question is whether I can replace the camera with a brand new one in the store where I bought it, or whether this is under warranty.
Highlighted
Adventurer

if under the return policy and you bought there. the camera you then get  again may have the same issue. report back let people know