Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Blue and red artifacts in my nightlapse images and video

[ New ]

Just got the Hero 8 and one of the first things I tried was a nightlapse video mode, then a nightlapse photo mode.

In the video, I had one or two distinctive blue dots that didn't move during the the time lapse. Interval was 30s, shutter 20s. I did a second video at a different part of the sky and had another blue do in basically the same spot (changed from wide to linear for the second one).

In my nightlapse photo mode text, all of my images have random blue and red dots on them. I am in suburbia and I haven't played with ISO or white balance settings yet to see how things change, but this seems bad. Could it be the sensor? Or is it possibly a settings issue?

I have never had theses artifacts in my DSLR nightlapses.

EDIT: hard to see in the small version of the image. The blue dots are down by the tree more towards the bottom.

G0010019.JPG
Adventurer

Re: Blue and red artifacts in my nightlapse images and video

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]

did the new firmware update (1.60) fix this problem?

Adventurer

[ New ]

No.

Tourist

[ New ]

I found this problem on my camera too, red and blue dots on long exposure night photo mode. Then I sent back my Hero8 for RMA, but the replacement they sent back to me still have the same problem too. And now I'm already sent that replacement camera back for another RMA. My concern is, did the GoPro team aware of this problem? I only bought this camera to make some starlapse, and now this problem happening, it feels really annoying

Adventurer

[ New ]

You & gopro.  like the Superview and red line on a blue sky. took them two softwares to correct. so maybe they have till October when a Hero 9 comes out.  I more or less do not care no one will pick on that spec if not looking for it.

GAve gopro a  post here, they  monitored, nothing more.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue for me. Big blue dots on Nightlapse videos. Like REALLY big dots too not just tiny pixels. Frustrating and not what I expected from GoPro.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Sorry for any trouble caused.

This has been shared with the team.

We'll post back once we have an update.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Red artifact near the TOP RIGHT corner. I went out to record the meteor shower and my night timelapse has this RED and some with BLUE artifact looking like a dead pixel on all my videos. I was out there for hours recording only to get home and find all my recordings ruined by this defect. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@balboyss, sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem with the camera. This is something that has already been shared with the team in charge. We'll keep everyone posted as soon as new information is available. Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

Hiker

[ New ]

thank you sir for replying.

I appreciate that very much.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have been experiencing the same thing. Got my GoPro hero 8 last month. At first it didn’t have those red and blue lights but now it does.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue here.

As shown in the linked video i have 2 rather big blue pixels in my nightlapse recordings. One smack death in the middle of the screen and one 30° south west of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqgiCt0IDE

Know this issue was flagged, just inputting more data. (:

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @sharpridge363. We will pass this along to the team. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Is there any update on this please as the Hero 8 is useless for nightlapse video currently which is one thing I wanted to use it for.

It puts me off GoPro devices in future.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Yes, like you the spots came after a few days of night-lapse.  Here is the problem, to leave the usb-c charger plugged into the gopro (hero 8 black)  so that it doesn't shut off due to a low battery, the battery hatch must be left open.  This allows moisture into the innards of your gopro due to condensation from night-time temperature and humidity changes.  Mold spots then grow on the sensor.  Software cannot fix this, only a redesigned gopro where the usb-c port is accesible, but air-tight.  I'm afraid you must never do night-lapse that requires usb power or you will destroy your expensive gopro.  There is a reason why the battery hatch is waterproof and airtight.  You want to keep moisture out of the gopro housing or the inside will go MOLDY.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the reply but these aren't caused that. They are most likely hot pixels on the sensor or some firmware bug. GoPro don't appear to care though so will just think twice before investing in a new GoPro in future and stuck to a DSLR for night lapses. Just a shame the GoPro Hero 8 is so rubbish at night lapses.
Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue here https://youtu.be/TLnLAQ05ZdY

I read a reply mentioning moisture and mold. This is brand new camera just took it out of the box today. Hope there will be fix. Cheers
Hiker

[ New ]
Well I never leave mine plugged in overnight or while the hatch is open I actually have a battery charging station for my GoPros batteries and I always charge up for batteries before I head out. On top of that I just got my GoPro they just replaced it because it was giving me problems so this is a brand new GoPro I got and it's already having these issues. On top of that it seems like GoPro doesn't want to replace them.
Tourist

[ New ]
To be honest people that have had them replaced for this reason have had the same issue with the replacements anyway. Apparently the Hero 7 doesn't have the same issue so this is a Hero 8 issue with sensors or firmware. If they were just dead pixels they should be smaller but they are actually quite large at times.
Tourist

[ New ]

The size of the dots may have to do with the zoom/digital lens (setting you use). I will test and see. I will also check if the dot(s) appear on the same spot. That may mean is a hardwre issue. 

Hiker

[ New ]

i have same issue on my gopro hero 8, you can see in link below.

and i have already RMA around 3 time but still have this issue,Some people in my video comments say that they have RMA and this problem is not found.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Oh it is like saying The Moderator, and adminstrator taken note, passed this along to the GoPro Team, and   its waiting for a  Solution to be resolved.  The Team has  looked into the Problem and has Passed it to the Firmware Team, they are in the works for a SOlution they Passed it to the Testing Team, they   find an issue, and passed it back to the GoPro Team, the Issue has been passed back and fourth Each week, problem is the Team that is working on it is taking orders  and helping out in another  Team area. until an idea pops in to their Heads.  when it gets  to the final Team we may then hear back

@aosa468 wrote:

Yes, like you the spots came after a few days of night-lapse.  Here is the problem, to leave the usb-c charger plugged into the gopro (hero 8 black)  so that it doesn't shut off due to a low battery, the battery hatch must be left open.  This allows moisture into the innards of your gopro due to condensation from night-time temperature and humidity changes.  Mold spots then grow on the sensor.  Software cannot fix this, only a redesigned gopro where the usb-c port is accesible, but air-tight.  I'm afraid you must never do night-lapse that requires usb power or you will destroy your expensive gopro.  There is a reason why the battery hatch is waterproof and airtight.  You want to keep moisture out of the gopro housing or the inside will go MOLDY.

The Problem is we all have it, only a select few will  complain about it.  Manual firmwar update is the answer, it fixes all.

the Ulanzi U8-7 door takes care of the posters  answer.  but you see  the seriousness it is for some, its not and that is where the issue is at no one will do a thing about the fix, and  8 months in the naswer will be HERO 9 .  not the answer peoplewant to hear

Tourist

[ New ]

I checked again and the blue spot is in the same position, it's the same size. It's in the middle about one fifth from top. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Seems impossible to get in touch with support team... 

Adventurer

[ New ]

really

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the Hero 8 and have had the same issue with blue spots appearing in the center of my nightlapse. I have done multiple nightlapse and they all have the blue and red spots. It seems to dissappear once the sun comes up and more light is available. Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update soon?

blue spots.mp4[2020-05-24 20-05-49.666].jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Here is the pic when the sun is starting to come up.

blue spots.mp4[2020-05-24 20-06-14.093].jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
Interesting info. I wonder if it is ISO related or if it is related to shutter speed in some way as both would drop when it gets lighter.

I tried a night lapse saving as images and still got red hot pixels. I was at ISO1600 though. I haven't tried using raw images yet. Might do more experimenting cos GoPro don't seem to be trying anything.

This is my first GoPro and love the daytime videos but night lapse is pointless with this bad quality. I've heard the Hero7 doesn't suffer this issue.
Tourist

[ New ]

I have a new hero 8 and I am having this issue as well, very noticeable blue and red dots on night photos / timelapses. On a side note, is it normal for the camera to heat up to the point that you can not hold it with your hand?

TIA

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yes the camera is working the temps get as high as 151 degrees f. lower your resolution

I hope GoPro can pop in and say they are stil lworking on this and arecoming near a resolution its since what Jan 2020 the last update????

Sightseer

[ New ]

Is there any update on this, as I am experiencing the same problem with my new gopro hero 8 - several very bright red and blue dots in nightlapse mode which make the camera pretty much useless for this purpose, which is one of the reasons I bought it.  I think this looks really bad for GoPro if they do not even respond to this issue, and update customers who have posted to this board.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, Everyone. Our Product team is aware of the issue and is looking into it. We will definitely post about it once we have new information from them. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

For all of you guys information. I've already return my gopro 8 for two times beacuse of this red and blue dot problem on the night lapse and night photo mode.

Here's the result:

The first replacement = still has the blue and red dot

The second replacement = still has the blue and red dot

and I'm already gave up to return it again, took Too much effort and time to waste.

THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM, AND THEY DONT EVEN CARE ABOUT IT. If this product is fail, gopro should recall it.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

Hello, Everyone. Our Product team is aware of the issue and is looking into it. We will definitely post about it once we have new information from them. Thanks!

yesterday

I hope GoPro can pop in and say they are stil lworking on this and arecoming near a resolution its since what Jan 2020 the last update????

Product  Team  can we say how far along are they on the  fix 1%, 25%  any percentage wise? its has been over 4 months   and no new updates fixed the Issue   of the last update in Jan 2020?

Tourist

[ New ]

This is what I got from GoPro support: The issue has been brought to our internal team's attention and we're awaiting for a fix on the next software update that will be released for HERO8 Black. 

We can only hope

Adventurer

[ New ]

I am sure it is fixed, Lol and other bugs and issues also being fixed many of them, once they get them all together then Wese the release I say 3 more months.  Lol

Tourist

[ New ]
I'll believe it when I see it. Quite disappointed with the GoPro Hero 8. Have loads of other issues too like it stopping charging at 90% and also locking up charging so I have to remove and reinvest the battery. All this in addition to Nightlapse basically being broken.

Will hold off any further GoPro camera purchases for now.

Tourist

[ New ]
Should say re-insert battery above. Lol.
Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro is so close to fixing all the bugs and issues I am sure the actual APP will get the update first again then any camera.   Be silient on it gopro we don't mind  JUly, AUG september is a new camera.

Sightseer

[ New ]

All this is a common issue with nighttime exposures in photography. 

https://www.rewindwithcoffee.com/4-ways-to-remove-hot-pixels-in-a-long-exposure-image/#:~:text=Ok%2C...

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry bud, but that article is not relevant. Today if we do a long exposure with our GoPro 8, we have these dots show up on every single time-lapse and image in the same place. There are no lenses to clean or remove, no photos to blend, no noise reduction on board (without being unable to see anything but black).

When I got GoPro 8, the first thing I did out of the box was a night time-lapse, and the first thing I saw was the ungodly red dots remaining stationary across the image. Every video, they were in the same place. This being my first GoPro, this was a major disappointment, but I was able to fix them in post-processing. 

For any of your folks taking video time-lapses, I recommend editing your video in the software Shotcut. It's free, and you can remove these dots across the entire video—no frame by frame BS. In the end, I could walk away with a decent astrophotography session.

Until GoPro fixes this, every single one of their cameras is going to have this problem. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Dec 2019. gopro all they can say is we passed this along to our team, and wel will see a fix in the future.  It called a Heero 9, they wil lnot give us a  hero 9 as a replacement for the issue it has caused, they should, Free of charge and own up to  it. will they. Is the moon made of cheese.  oh sorry New people got no clue 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmIollzrGQ&feature=emb_title

If you like what you see hit that subscribe, I keep thing real. Thank you for viewing Please do not forget to Rate, Comment, and Subscribe The Gear I use:...
Tourist

[ New ]
7-30-2020 same issue here 😑
Red and Blue dots in random places on Night Time-lapse and Night Photo
GOPR0550_1596099282141.JPG
Sightseer

[ New ]
It is kind of a relief that I didn't screw up my camera, with a nightlapse. But it is even worse that gopro doesn't seem to address this issue.

Unfortunately I am getting used to them not answering or helping in any kind of way, involving them to admit an error on their side.

Gopro, not the company they were once.
Tourist

[ New ]
I'll certainly not rush into buying another GoPro based on this issue and GoPro's lack of support!
Tourist

[ New ]

Any updates or what! This is RIDICULOUS! I took my gopro out for the first nightlapse session to capture a meteor shower and noticed these ugly red and blue dots. They don't change position, they stay in the same place. They show up when doing low light stuff more than bright stuff. My firmware is 1.6 as of now. Are they seriously going to release a firmware update anytime soon?
I was so excited to use the gopro for nightlapses but I guess in all those cool videos they show you when they released this model, they simply paint over and hide such issues.

I am still under warranty but having read you guys' stories of RMA-ing your gopro and even all replacement gopros have it, that just sucks. So I won't even send it back. I know post processing softwares enough to fix this manually but this is stupid...

COME ON GOPRO! :(

Tourist

[ New ]

I also have red and blue dots all over my night shots. I can't notice any with day pics but my night pics are useless. 

This is my first Gopro, I hope not my last.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Jan 2020 7 months later:   @ a Webhost Modrator /Admin willstop by and rest assure us the team is well aware and check the site for updates.    

Even the fanBoy  gave up on here and gopro themselves can't replicate a Bug-n-issue camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Screenshot_20200813-130158_Gmail.jpg