Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Blue and red artifacts in my nightlapse images and video

[ New ]

Jan 2020 7 months later:   @ a Webhost Modrator /Admin willstop by and rest assure us the team is well aware and check the site for updates.    

Even the fanBoy  gave up on here and gopro themselves can't replicate a Bug-n-issue camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Screenshot_20200813-130158_Gmail.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

Adventurer

[ New ]

so more or less the camera is done in.  and they won't take back  for a newer version.

Tourist

[ New ]

Well, that email was 6 days ago, I hope they genuinely are working on an update.

In either case, I found a 2 rough workarounds to automatically remove the hotspots.

METHOD1: USING ADOBE CAMERA RAW

When you import the gpr file into adobe photoshop camera raw plugin, in the noise reduction tab if you just set the color to 100, color detail to 0 and color smoothness to 100. It more often than not makes the hot spots a bit hard to notice. Remember this only removes the colored super red, green, blue hotspots. Some hotspots that are completely white still won't go away. Those you gotta manually spot clean. 

METHOD 2: USING NUKE

However since I am a visual effects artist, I converted the gpr files to dng using adobe's free dng converter, open them up in my vfx software "NUKE" which has a non commercial free version. I used a free gizmo in it called PXF FILLER that I use all the time at work to fill holes. I covered the gopro and took a long exposure image with just black so I had an image with just the hotspots locations. Turned the hotspots r g b to alpha and use the filler to fill those holes. It practically cleaned the entire image automatically without manual labor.
Once done you can export the image out but remember that nuke non commercial only allows 1080p as the highest output image.
There are workarounds to cropping 4k images into 4 chunks that are 1080p or less and then rejoining them later in photoshop but that's a story for another day.

NOW I do understand, most people here are just hobbyists with a gopro with no vfx background who just want a funcitoning camera and won't go through the lengths I went through to fix the image. But if you really want to automate the removal, this is how you would do it.

If you need a video tutorial regarding this, reply to this and let me know. If enough number of people are interested, I will make a video.

Here's to hoping gopro fixes their **bleep** and releases a firmware update to stop this.

Cheers!

Indy

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue with my one.

I bought a GoPro 8 Black in April 2020 as a part of my corporate gear for action or time-lapse shooting. I have been playing about with some night-time time-lapse and have noticed, what I think, are dead pixels (appearing as RED & BLUE) in a wide area of the footage. I setup my GoPro for my first night-time time-lapse using the standard settings within the GoPro menu. The lens was clean, and I have a protective screen installed which was purchased from GoPro online.

Link: https://vimeo.com/447707333

I think that many GoPro 8 Black owners have the same issue and it looks like there’s currently no solution from GoPro. I would trying contact GoPro support or ask for a refund.

I myself am trying to contact GoPro but keep having an "error" in posting a support ticket, where a message pops up saying that the GoPro team is currently busy and to try again later?

GoPro_hero8_deadpixels_001.jpg
GoPro Hero 8 Black - Dead Pixels
Tourist

[ New ]

They are not dead pixels.  Its a software issue.  Its a problem with the current firmware on the hero8. They sent me an email that said they are aware of the issue and are currently working on it. Not sure if this helps. But I sure hope this will be fixed soon.

Tourist

[ New ]
Saw a guy I follow on Facebook had bought a Hero 8 for nightlapse and sure enough the first nightlapse was covered in blue dots.

Sadly GoPro clearly don't give a --bleep-- about it. Might start hitting their social network pages soon so they hopefully have to fix it.