Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Blue and red artifacts in my nightlapse images and video

[ New ]

All this is a common issue with nighttime exposures in photography. 

https://www.rewindwithcoffee.com/4-ways-to-remove-hot-pixels-in-a-long-exposure-image/#:~:text=Ok%2C...

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry bud, but that article is not relevant. Today if we do a long exposure with our GoPro 8, we have these dots show up on every single time-lapse and image in the same place. There are no lenses to clean or remove, no photos to blend, no noise reduction on board (without being unable to see anything but black).

When I got GoPro 8, the first thing I did out of the box was a night time-lapse, and the first thing I saw was the ungodly red dots remaining stationary across the image. Every video, they were in the same place. This being my first GoPro, this was a major disappointment, but I was able to fix them in post-processing. 

For any of your folks taking video time-lapses, I recommend editing your video in the software Shotcut. It's free, and you can remove these dots across the entire video—no frame by frame BS. In the end, I could walk away with a decent astrophotography session.

Until GoPro fixes this, every single one of their cameras is going to have this problem. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

Dec 2019. gopro all they can say is we passed this along to our team, and wel will see a fix in the future.  It called a Heero 9, they wil lnot give us a  hero 9 as a replacement for the issue it has caused, they should, Free of charge and own up to  it. will they. Is the moon made of cheese.  oh sorry New people got no clue 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmIollzrGQ&feature=emb_title

If you have issues in Photo the Profile setting Nite setting the Shutter to a spacific setting. In this Prime example Photo Mode, Nite. Resolution, FOV ...
Tourist

[ New ]
7-30-2020 same issue here 😑
Red and Blue dots in random places on Night Time-lapse and Night Photo
GOPR0550_1596099282141.JPG
Sightseer

[ New ]
It is kind of a relief that I didn't screw up my camera, with a nightlapse. But it is even worse that gopro doesn't seem to address this issue.

Unfortunately I am getting used to them not answering or helping in any kind of way, involving them to admit an error on their side.

Gopro, not the company they were once.
Tourist

[ New ]
I'll certainly not rush into buying another GoPro based on this issue and GoPro's lack of support!
Tourist

[ New ]

Any updates or what! This is RIDICULOUS! I took my gopro out for the first nightlapse session to capture a meteor shower and noticed these ugly red and blue dots. They don't change position, they stay in the same place. They show up when doing low light stuff more than bright stuff. My firmware is 1.6 as of now. Are they seriously going to release a firmware update anytime soon?
I was so excited to use the gopro for nightlapses but I guess in all those cool videos they show you when they released this model, they simply paint over and hide such issues.

I am still under warranty but having read you guys' stories of RMA-ing your gopro and even all replacement gopros have it, that just sucks. So I won't even send it back. I know post processing softwares enough to fix this manually but this is stupid...

COME ON GOPRO! :(

Tourist

[ New ]

I also have red and blue dots all over my night shots. I can't notice any with day pics but my night pics are useless. 

This is my first Gopro, I hope not my last.