Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Blue and red artifacts in my nightlapse images and video

Red artifact near the TOP RIGHT corner. I went out to record the meteor shower and my night timelapse has this RED and some with BLUE artifact looking like a dead pixel on all my videos. I was out there for hours recording only to get home and find all my recordings ruined by this defect. 

Highlighted
GoPro

@balboyss, sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem with the camera. This is something that has already been shared with the team in charge. We'll keep everyone posted as soon as new information is available. Your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Hiker

thank you sir for replying.

I appreciate that very much.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have been experiencing the same thing. Got my GoPro hero 8 last month. At first it didn’t have those red and blue lights but now it does.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Same issue here.

As shown in the linked video i have 2 rather big blue pixels in my nightlapse recordings. One smack death in the middle of the screen and one 30° south west of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxqgiCt0IDE

Know this issue was flagged, just inputting more data. (:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for sharing, @sharpridge363. We will pass this along to the team. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Is there any update on this please as the Hero 8 is useless for nightlapse video currently which is one thing I wanted to use it for.

It puts me off GoPro devices in future.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Yes, like you the spots came after a few days of night-lapse.  Here is the problem, to leave the usb-c charger plugged into the gopro (hero 8 black)  so that it doesn't shut off due to a low battery, the battery hatch must be left open.  This allows moisture into the innards of your gopro due to condensation from night-time temperature and humidity changes.  Mold spots then grow on the sensor.  Software cannot fix this, only a redesigned gopro where the usb-c port is accesible, but air-tight.  I'm afraid you must never do night-lapse that requires usb power or you will destroy your expensive gopro.  There is a reason why the battery hatch is waterproof and airtight.  You want to keep moisture out of the gopro housing or the inside will go MOLDY.