Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Black LCD screen hero 5 black & a wrench on the front screen

[ New ]
Used in the pool for the 2nd time ever in water and now this. Anyone know how to correct this. I can't see my serial number, how do I get that little piece of paper out to see it? Someone please help!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Black LCD screen hero 5 black & a wrench on the front screen

[ New ]

Hello, @wcady. A wrench icon on the front screen means that the camera is on the Preferences or settings menu. 

Do you need the serial number to manually update the camera? In addition to Irishmanpdx's post, you can also get the serial number through the sticker in the battery compartment. This article details other ways to find the serial number. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Remove the SD card from the camera and place it into an SD card reader on your PC.  In the MISC folder there should be a TXT file that has all your camera info including the serial number.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @wcady. A wrench icon on the front screen means that the camera is on the Preferences or settings menu. 

Do you need the serial number to manually update the camera? In addition to Irishmanpdx's post, you can also get the serial number through the sticker in the battery compartment. This article details other ways to find the serial number. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you all, I was able to update but how do I get it out of the preferences or setting mode when there is no disllay on the touch screen side.
GoPro

[ New ]

HI @epicapex2676

If it's still the same after the update, let our Support Team know.

Please reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for all you comments, I have reached out to gopro support and after several updates and the issue didn't go away, thank goodness it was still under warranty, I shipped the old one off yesterday and getting a replacement.
GoPro

[ New ]

@wcady, glad to hear that our Support Team was able to assist you on the next steps. Your time and patience throughout the process are very much appreciated. Feel free to post back if anything else comes up. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!