Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Black Hero 5 - Water Damage

Bought a HERO 5 Black from Australia back in December 2016 (9 months ago) and used it for a couple of times for snorkelling and other activities. Recently went to use the camera again for snorkelling and noticed that water entered into the front LCD screen however the camera screen at the back was still working.

I removed battery and sd card, took it to a local repair shop hoping to fix this issue but they recommended to contact GoPro support directly. The issue is now that the camera will not turn on at all and checked out my vids taken and the recordings all contain noise and vid sound is not clear.

I also checked some other forums and seems like that Gopro acknowlegded that there is an issue with the water damage. Tried to contact customer care via Chat but always is busy. I just need to know what to do next as this is my 2nd Gopro with water damage, my previous Hero3+ black had a small hole in the waterproof casing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Black Hero 5 - Water Damage

I purchase a new waterproof case and use yout 3 till you contact  by phone and see what they can do for you, good luck   fuess when water got in you should have  riced it a.s.a p   wit hte removal of everything of the camera.

Highlighted
Tourist

I didn't rice the Hero 5 as the product is still under warranty and I didnt want to create damage to it until I get a response from GoPro. Problem is that I cannot take my Go pro to the local store again as I live on the island of Malta not in Australia.

When it comes to the Hero 3+ black camera, I did rice it but still managed to corrode. 

Ill keep on trying Chat for now and see what happens.

Cheers

Highlighted
Adventurer

itwould have been the wise choice to do pull bat  card  port door and lens protective cover and rice for a few days.  then  checking the camera out,    Yes get to gopro call them.  and   they can help  you out. you may  be offered  - to- a new replacement if you are covered under a warranty, while a waterproof  camera is not covered for water damage.  they will need th camera and evaulate if there is a defect in the body, if s otehn they will  replace the camera.  good luck.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks. I didn't get much luck by calling UK and Italy support after more than 15mins holding the line. When asked for a callback nothing happened. Also chat seems to be always busy and there is no queing system. Is there an email address?
Highlighted
Adventurer

things do not work in a heart beat I suggest allowing time , good luck.