Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Black 7 drains battery

[ New ]
Hi,
Camera still drain battery on standby even after update, the drain rate is average of 10 % every 20 minutes.
I had everything off, GPS off, voice command off, all Leds off, beep off, wireless off, quick capture off, No SD card.
So is it a design fault?
I didvalotbof online search and noticed thay alot of people are complaining about this fault, so gopto should refund for everyone or Fix their product.
Explorer

Re: Black 7 drains battery

[ New ]
Standby or off?
Tourist

[ New ]
Hi there mate,
as I mentioned the camera is on standby.
Thanks.
Explorer

[ New ]
Then you are getting normal battery usage. How long does it take to go from 100% to 0 (actual, not guessing or multiplying 20 min by 10).

GoPro cameras do use battery when in standby. Make sure LCD timeout is at 1 min and if you don't need to use the camera, turn it off. This is one of the main reasons for Quick Capture, so you don't need to leave the camera in standby.
Tourist

[ New ]
This is not good enough, the camera should not drain battery that fast and not get that hot, with everything off, GPS, voice command, display brightness on the lowest, 1 minute screen saver, connection off, and still drains 10% every 20 minutes I think that's pathetic, camera should stay on for hours without touching it and not getting any hot to touch at all.
this is a full in the design GoPro should admit this and try to rectify their stuff up. About the quick capture, it's an added feature and you can have it on or you can turn it off, this should have nothing to do with draining battery, so you are trying to justify the fault by saying this is the reason for the quick capture, what about if I don't want to use that quick capture, what about if I leave the camera in my bag in a hot day is it gonna blow up? is it gonna light up on fire? so I think this product should be looked at and fixed. I only have this junk for two weeks and I hate it, GoPro has tricked a lot of people by advertising their faulty product, my brother also had black 6 which is sold and got rid off after few months off using from issues.
Explorer

[ New ]
No
No
No
And no
But yes, you should use Quik Capture if you want to maximize battery life.

Why don't you just return it? Who is forcing you to keep it?
Adventurer

[ New ]

@stoutvista01860 

https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-black/manuals/HERO7Black_UM_ENG_REVB.pdf

pg 23 

PRO TIP: Since it only turns the camera on when it’s recording, QuikCapture is a great way to maximize battery life.

wifi is on goes to bluetooth  from older cameras wifi turns down after about 8 minutes to bluetooth and bluetooth wakes up to turn wifi on why the drain that is WHY!  standby use a powerbank if its important.  never thought of that?  now you can keep the camera   

@danielr15  he wants   the camera notto drain on standby   he needs to turn his  wake up off and   then  see  a 1% drain  every 8 hours  if.

Tourist

[ New ]
Daniel,

Without the original packaging the Shop will not accept it and GoPro did a great job by making the the customer damaging the box to get the thing out. So how can I return it.?

Fishy, I'm not say i want 1 percent in 8 hours, be smarter mate, there is no camera drains battery like this one, even the cheapest One without going into details, I bought a Top of the Line camera, well i thought that, but not really with every feature Off and without touching the bloody thing gos flat in about 2 hours and getting Hot Something is not right here mate, well if you like this junk then its up to but I'm not the only one complaining about this, go check online and see how many people are complaining about this so its not something normal mate.
Hiker

[ New ]

@stoutvista01860It appears that you probably have a faulty battery. I went to a short trip to Malaysia yesterday just using a cheapo Telesin battery with my new GoPro Hero 7 Black and I was able to use it for full 8 - 10 hours using Quick Capture i.e. 15 - 30 seconds footage and even capturing some few photos before it went to 24%.

Sure, GoPro may have very short battery lift but I don't think this is designed to capture a straight 1 - 2 hours footage. Smiley TongueSmiley Very Happy it has limitations but the memories I'm taking with it are priceless. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

@stoutvista01860  

Yes. wake up will drain the  camera in hours in the off state wh  I in ways mentioned it. if not now you know.

You did  open your gopro box on the bottom by a simple pull tab. can not get any easier then that.   

Yes I understand you got issues and gopro will be more then happy to take your camera back. no need to send in anything but your camera,

camera should  you re flash firmware give that a shot, and one more time and good luck. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I will contact GoPro and see what happens.

Thanks for the chat and advise.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks alot for the information, I'll train myself for the quick capture and hopefully i will like it but heating Up is a bit annoying i guess.
Adventurer

[ New ]

yes if that is the option you like to take to contact Gopro and see what they can come up with about why you are wit h loss of power;

Some tips to help out

brightness lower then  higher the lower the better.  screen saver to  the minimal

wifi  connection off as well wake up and voice command

GPS off , 

lower resolutions and Hypesmooth to off and fps lower

beeps and Leds Off.

Keep to a regular format bases on   the sdxc card and use the right one's

if you keep it to a minimal and still have drain then  the camera then there is  a issue wit hthe camera and when you  flash again your firmware  do it one more time but remember to  check each setting again. even on the app check it out. you never know  something can   be forced on

make a note and  hope that helps

FISH