Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Black 7 - can I take single photos while videoing?

[ New ]

I'm looking at updating my Black3 to a Black 7 and need to know if it takes single photos while videoing?

I use this is a feature a lot with my Black 3 so it needs to be an option with the 7 before I would consider an upgrade.

Cheers, John 

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer

Re: Black 7 - can I take single photos while videoing?

[ New ]

No only the Hero 5 and under the ambrella chip is dedicated for that, the gp-1 in the Hero 6 and 7 do not allow us, you will  have to grab a shot via a frame grab  i nthe app or  editor.

View solution in original post

Hiker

[ New ]
The Quik app allows you to easily save screengrabs from a video. They come out good and you can choose the exact frame you want

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

[ New ]

No only the Hero 5 and under the ambrella chip is dedicated for that, the gp-1 in the Hero 6 and 7 do not allow us, you will  have to grab a shot via a frame grab  i nthe app or  editor.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks for the information - very much appreciated.

Spoiler

Nomad

[ New ]

I get nice frame grabs from video all the time, often they are more than adequate, plus u can choose the instant.

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ New ]

fGrab shots are bettern blurred shots ofa photo.

Hiker

[ New ]
The Quik app allows you to easily save screengrabs from a video. They come out good and you can choose the exact frame you want
Hiker

[ New ]

A 4k video will give 8 mega pixel stills - good enough to blow up to around A4 paper size.

60 frames per second will give sharper images with less mothion blut than 30 fps, but may be darker in some circumstances.  If it's too dark noise from higher ISO might become a problem so have a play around with the settings.