Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Black 7 and Whitewater question

Hello,
I'm recently bougth Black 7 and I'm going to use it for Whitewater Kayaking. So there will be rather short immersions, but in fast-moving water during kayak capsize situations. Black 7 is waterproof enough to survive this (and warranty covers if there will be water damage), or should I use Super Suit for that activity?

Adam

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Black 7 and Whitewater question

As long as the seals are clean and the door completely shut (with the safty button popped back up), the camera is completely waterproof. I've been using my HERO7 Black (and the HERO6 Black and HERO5 Black before it) surfing 3-4 times a week since it came out. Absolutely no issues.

That being said, if there is a chance that your camera might hit rocks or other debris, then the SuperSuit is a good idea to keep the camera safe. You will want to throw in a few Anti-Fog insets as well (you can find them on amazon.com. GoPro's work best and are thin enough to fit two).

As far as warranty is concerned, water damage is not covered. If you have GoPro Plus you can get up to two cameras exchanged per year for any reason, including water damage, but there is a processing and exchange fee.

View solution in original post

Hiker

Your camera "should" (stress - "should") be adequately waterproof for your planned activity.

My view, for what it's worth (and contrary to GoPro's marketing claims):  The basic camera waterproofing should only be relied-upon to protect the camera from accidental exposure to water.  If you plan to deliberately dunk your camera, then use the Supersuit to provide primary waterproofing - then, if the Supersuit seals should fail, you still have a second line of built-in waterproofing to protect your camera.  Your kayak can be a pretty dynamic environment.  Compared to the cost of your camera, the Supersuit is a small expense - and provides additonal physical protection from damage (like rocks, paddles and other unanticipated mishaps.

For watersports, the claimed waterproofing only relates to static-pressure at the rated depth - not the much higher dynamic water pressures that can be experienced when hitting the water - or from jets.  Consider that 100m-rated (static) wrist watches are generally designed to protect the wristwatch when swimming or general watersports.

Be aware that any waranty replacement from GoPro is unlikely to be "new", but instead a reconditioned or used camera.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

As long as the seals are clean and the door completely shut (with the safty button popped back up), the camera is completely waterproof. I've been using my HERO7 Black (and the HERO6 Black and HERO5 Black before it) surfing 3-4 times a week since it came out. Absolutely no issues.

That being said, if there is a chance that your camera might hit rocks or other debris, then the SuperSuit is a good idea to keep the camera safe. You will want to throw in a few Anti-Fog insets as well (you can find them on amazon.com. GoPro's work best and are thin enough to fit two).

As far as warranty is concerned, water damage is not covered. If you have GoPro Plus you can get up to two cameras exchanged per year for any reason, including water damage, but there is a processing and exchange fee.
Tourist

Betreff: Black 7 and Whitewater question

Bei mir gabs noch nie probleme beim kajakfahren, auch bei schnell fließendem Wasser ist immer alles dicht geblieben.

Gruß Florian

Hiker

Your camera "should" (stress - "should") be adequately waterproof for your planned activity.

My view, for what it's worth (and contrary to GoPro's marketing claims):  The basic camera waterproofing should only be relied-upon to protect the camera from accidental exposure to water.  If you plan to deliberately dunk your camera, then use the Supersuit to provide primary waterproofing - then, if the Supersuit seals should fail, you still have a second line of built-in waterproofing to protect your camera.  Your kayak can be a pretty dynamic environment.  Compared to the cost of your camera, the Supersuit is a small expense - and provides additonal physical protection from damage (like rocks, paddles and other unanticipated mishaps.

For watersports, the claimed waterproofing only relates to static-pressure at the rated depth - not the much higher dynamic water pressures that can be experienced when hitting the water - or from jets.  Consider that 100m-rated (static) wrist watches are generally designed to protect the wristwatch when swimming or general watersports.

Be aware that any waranty replacement from GoPro is unlikely to be "new", but instead a reconditioned or used camera.