Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Beta Updates for Fusion and for GoPro Fusion Studio Now Available

2.0 is slightly better in general and will allow you to capture at a higher resolution. I've been using it recently and have noticed an improvement. The files are larger though, and rendering seems to take a little longer, so there is that to consider.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Are these updates you mention above all available on a new fusion camera if purchased and how are these updated being received / perceived so far? Also... any plans to enhance system to have ability to upload to the cloud, Dive housing, karma compatible, live streaming from front camera, better slow motion mode greater than 2X, or auto upload to phone?

Seriously, if this camera had some of those features it would be an easy choice. I'm in the waiting game right now because of these missing capabilities... 

Any info would be greatly appreciated... thanks

Highlighted
Nomad

Are these updates you mention above all available on a new fusion camera if purchased.

The only update for the camera is the "beta" firmware.  Due to the fact it's "beta" this means you have to download it yourself and install it yourself and see if you yourself like it. 

The other software is for Adobe Premier Pro and a new edition of GoPro Fusion Studio.  They are not on the camera as they are stand alone plugin's and programs for a Windows or Mac PC.  As with most GoPro software, you have to download these and install them on your PC or Mac yourself.

and how are these updated being received / perceived so far?

I find them quite good, however for a more technical review I suggest you look online and do a little research.

Also... any plans to enhance system to have ability to upload to the cloud,

What's to stop anyone uploading to the cloud?  It's your footage, you can do anything you want with it.

Dive housing

Due to the nature of stitching 360 footage, underwater scenes just don't work well.  They aren't impossible to do, they just aren't great.  The GoPro Fusion is water proof to 10 meters.  There is also a 3rd party dive housing you can buy but whether or not it's a good purchase is not something I intend to find out with my Fusion.

karma compatible,

I've seen people attach the GoPro Fusion to a drone and the results have been ok.  I prefer to see a fully produced drone video than a "go for a ride and look around" video myself.  I doubt GoPro are doing anything to make it "karma compatible" as it seems to be a waste of time to put effort into developing additional software for a discontinued drone product.

live streaming from front camera,

Live streaming is very camera hardware dependent.  I doubt this camera will ever offer live streaming.  However GoPro have mentioned they are working on the Fusion 2 and maybe this would offer a form of live streaming, however it would most likely be a 360 live stream with a possible overcapture function.  

better slow motion mode greater than 2X,

That would be hardware dependent and it's possible different frame rates and resolutions would be on offer than what's currently in use.

or auto upload to phone?

Possible, but that would be dependent on a newer itteration of the GoPro App capable of handling the specs of the camera and if those specs have been agreed upon at this stage.

Highlighted
Explorer

Are these updates you mention above all available on a new fusion camera if purchased.

Yes, but you need to perform the update.

and how are these updated being received / perceived so far?

Fusion is considered one of the best 360 cameras in the sub $1,000 range.  The BETA firmware works great.  Only issue is some settings compatibility with the current GoPro app.  This is known and n the BETA update notes.  Otherwise, it adds pixels to the resolution, so all good.

Also... any plans to enhance system to have ability to upload to the cloud,

I assume yoy mean to GoPro Plus.  Footage that has been created with OverCapture via the app is automatically uploaded to the cloud.  if you do it through your computer, you need to do it manually.  It's not going to happen straight out of the camera because the images have not been stitched or processed.

Dive housing

There are two dive housings available right now, and both come from 3rd parties.  The first looks like a standard waterproof housing.  It works fine, but stitch lines are much more visible above and below water.  I'll attach a video I made below.  Because of the light refraction underwater, the stitch line suffers considerably. The second is the 360Bubble.  It works fairly well and has some positive reviews.  The negative is that it is bulky, traps heat, and if it's not sealed perfectly, will leak and then fog up.

karma compatible,

You can easily attach to the bottom of Karma.  You just need to attach a flat mount to the bottom.  Fusion doesn't need a gimbal and it would be silly to use a 360 camera for the main POV, so in this sense, yes, I guess it already is Karma compatible.

live streaming from front camera,

Live streaming may or may not come with an app update, but most likely if it is, it will be for the new 360 camera.  You wouldn't want to live stream from just one lens.  The distortion and vignetting of looking through just one lens is not appealing.  

better slow motion mode greater than 2X,

Maybe.  If it happens, it will come in the new spherical camera.

or auto upload to phone?

Maybe with the new app, but you really don't want this.  The files are HUGE.  You are basically taking one 4K video and doubling it.  It's better to do this manually so you can trim the video prior to import and select just what you want.

Highlighted
Explorer

Highlighted
Explorer

Here is a video with different resolution and export settings.  One thing about this video, I used a 60fps timeline sequence, which was a mistake.  Because 5.6K is in 24fps and 5.2K is in 30fps, during apnning motions a jittery is created.  This is not in the original video.  The video was created in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2019 with a timeline of 1080p/60fps and exported with 30 bitrate target and 45 bitrate max, and without max depth or max quality selected.

Highlighted
Tourist

So, 5 months on, any sight of this coming out of beta?
Highlighted
Explorer

Probably not. GoPro is releasing a new spherical camera this year. The Beta firmware for Fusion was most likely to help test the software that will go into the new camera. Most likely, they have moved on from this release and are working with a new version. This doesn't mean Fusion might not get any more updates, but it's unlikely. If it does, it wont be this specific version coming out of Beta, but rather the next iteration of it.