Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Bests set up for a 4k or 2.7k shoot of a concert

Hi,

Usding a Sony 4K video camera for a well lit stage concert and will use the Hero5 on a fixed stand to shoot he whole band and stage.

When HD editing in Video Pro X10, I want to be able to  zoom into some of the Hero shots.

I am new to Hero so what would the best settings be please?

Thanks

Also when I went to register the Hero as a Black 5 it said I must have reg number starting with C31.

I eventually registered it as a Hero 2018 with the C33 Reg start mine had.

Is there a diference in captute quality betweem 5 and 2018 or is 2018 still a 5 but a later model.

I attached it to the PC with Desktop Quick but no Update sign came,  so I figure it is up to date.

Would that be a correct assumption?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Bests set up for a 4k or 2.7k shoot of a concert

The person you purchased it from sold you a HERO (2018) that they hacked and put HERO5 firmware on. If you paid more than $150, they ripped you off. The camera will work and have the functions of a HERO5, so if you are happy with it, then no big deal I guess. It's a shame though, this person is committing fraud.

As far as best settings:
4K/30fps (24 if it's very low light)
Shutter Auto
EV 0 (-0.5 in bright lighting)
ISO MIN 400 MAX 800
WB Auto is fine (manually set is better and Native is best for mixing video with other cameras. Requires ability to color grade. Native will not look good straight out of the camera)
Sharpness: Low (add sharpness back when editing as needed)
Color Fiat (again, you will need to color grade in post editing)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @ozstar

You must have gotten a HERO (2018) if the serial number starts with C33. This camera has the same form as the HERO5 Black but does not have the same options in terms of resolution settings and other options. You may check the camera identifiers here How To Identify Your GoPro Camera to be sure. 

Unfortunately, the HERO (2018) does not have 4K and 2.7K. The HERO5 Black has. Feel free to post back fro any other questions or concerns, 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

THanks for the reply.

Strangely enough it has the outside logos of the Hero 2018 however it has the softare of a Hero 5 Black.

It does go to 4K. 2.7k etc and all the other settings of the 5 Black.

I am confused because I did buy ity online as a Black 5 so was surprosed to see it had the Reg # of 33 not 31.

How is this ?

Highlighted
GoPro

Did you buy the camera brand new? If not, the previous owner may have tinkered with the firmware for the camera to feature such resolutions, which would prevent any further updates to occur. 

In this case though, you can refer to this article for recommended settings for the HERO5 Black. Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Explorer

The person you purchased it from sold you a HERO (2018) that they hacked and put HERO5 firmware on. If you paid more than $150, they ripped you off. The camera will work and have the functions of a HERO5, so if you are happy with it, then no big deal I guess. It's a shame though, this person is committing fraud.

As far as best settings:
4K/30fps (24 if it's very low light)
Shutter Auto
EV 0 (-0.5 in bright lighting)
ISO MIN 400 MAX 800
WB Auto is fine (manually set is better and Native is best for mixing video with other cameras. Requires ability to color grade. Native will not look good straight out of the camera)
Sharpness: Low (add sharpness back when editing as needed)
Color Fiat (again, you will need to color grade in post editing)
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi and thank for the reply with the info I needed.

Yes I bought it on an Ebay auction. Paid $220 I think whch was cheaper than what anything 5 is getting these days.

As long as it has the 4k etc which it has, I'm fine with it, although I might report it anyway. 

I also noticed a guy on Ebay charging $50  and prepared to go anywhere in Perth to update software from a 2018 to a 5. My buy was from another area.

Thanks for the settings will give them a whirl.

oz