Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Best settings for Hero 3+ Black for surfing?

[ Edited ]

I want good footage from my Gopro Hero 3+ Black Edition when I surf. I don't want to have to edit it or convert anything in another app. I am not interested in slowmo and I don't need anything higher than 1080p. It is usually sunny where I surf and I just want the best footage I can get. What settings should I use and what protune settings should I use. Also, what FPS and should I use SuperView?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Best settings for Hero 3+ Black for surfing?

Superview is best when mounted to the nose of the board and if you don't mind a little fish eye. Superview captures more of you and the wave. Having Protune on will film at a higher bit rate and will look best. Set the ISO Max to 400.

If you don't want to edit, are you just posting directly to YouTube or is it just to watch on your computer, phone or TV? Even though you don't need slow motion, 60fps usually will give less motion blur because it will speed up the shutter in most cases. That being said, 2.7/30 is by far the best resolution on the Hero3+ Black. If you only need 1080 or if you are going to use the Quik mobile app, then use 1080/30 on overcast days and 1080/60 in bright sunny days.

When I used to use the Hero3+ Black for my surfing sessions I used 1080/60 and it looked good. I now use 2.7/60 with my Hero5 and Hero6. The Hero6 looks significantly better, and the Hero5 footage is also an improvement, but compared to what I got in the Hero4 Silver, the Hero3+ Black is very similar.

You wrote Hero3+ but tagged the post as Hero3. Just to clarify, if you are using a Hero3, Do Not use Protune unless you want to edit and color grade. The Hero3+ handles Protune differently, so DO use Protune with the 3+.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Superview is best when mounted to the nose of the board and if you don't mind a little fish eye. Superview captures more of you and the wave. Having Protune on will film at a higher bit rate and will look best. Set the ISO Max to 400.

If you don't want to edit, are you just posting directly to YouTube or is it just to watch on your computer, phone or TV? Even though you don't need slow motion, 60fps usually will give less motion blur because it will speed up the shutter in most cases. That being said, 2.7/30 is by far the best resolution on the Hero3+ Black. If you only need 1080 or if you are going to use the Quik mobile app, then use 1080/30 on overcast days and 1080/60 in bright sunny days.

When I used to use the Hero3+ Black for my surfing sessions I used 1080/60 and it looked good. I now use 2.7/60 with my Hero5 and Hero6. The Hero6 looks significantly better, and the Hero5 footage is also an improvement, but compared to what I got in the Hero4 Silver, the Hero3+ Black is very similar.

You wrote Hero3+ but tagged the post as Hero3. Just to clarify, if you are using a Hero3, Do Not use Protune unless you want to edit and color grade. The Hero3+ handles Protune differently, so DO use Protune with the 3+.
Highlighted
Explorer

I forgot to mention, if you don't want as much distortion from Superview, use Wide but be sure to really point the camera up or your head will get chopped off. If you don't mind the Black bars on the side, 1440 works very good, especially for hand held shots.