Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Best camera model for metal detecting?

I want to be able to record my metal detecting expeditions, including digging the hole, recovering the item and zooming into the detail.

I would envisage wearing the camera on a chest or head mount.

The key things are clarity of the images and the zooming into the detail of a coin etc. Which cameras from the range would fulfil all these needs?

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Best camera model for metal detecting?

I use the Hero 7 black for that.

However it is not possible to zoom easily, i insert seperate photos in editing.

I use voice commands to control camera so no muddy lens.

Highlighted
Tourist

Many thanks, looks like I am all set to give it a go.

Highlighted
Explorer

You might want to get the snap on Macro lens for when you are doing close up shots of items that you find https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1297083-REG/polar_pro_h5b_1007_macro_lens_for_hero5.html
Highlighted
Nomad

Putting on extra lenses in field (or water in my case) is not really practical. Storing lens dry (impossible for me) and risk of loosing in the waves.
Highlighted
Adventurer

then Like said. this is a a fixed focus camera with   a 18 inch focus point no greater a  lens adapter can be easily applied and a frame holds it  secure.  There are many options out there for the Hero 7, Hero 6, Hero 5  not the Hero 8. 4K resolution is what you want.

Wit hteh Hero 8 Danielr15 wil lagree it is a simple press of a touchscreen to get to Zoom vs the latter but not during recording.

Highlighted
Nomad

withh one hand on detector, another on spade or scoop.

No hands left for messing around wih camera.

Hence need for voice commands.

Trying to adjust zoom or anything else with thick gloves on which are soaked or covered in mud, just not practile.

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Yes I agree, I set my camera up do my Hobby and whatvr I catch I accept.  If I want to show a story, it's all about setting up. that said   gopro -stop recording.  gopro take a photo.  gopro zoom in, imagine ifgopro had  zoom in    you're going to have to  touch it sooner or later. and that may be where the hero 8 may be the Better  camera the USB  battery bipass. great for attaching a powerbank for longer run time.