Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Best Settings to Capture the Total Solar Eclipse

It's officially TEN days before the path of totality reaches us (or me)! I am fortunate enough to reside in Casper, Wyoming where the totality will occur for 2 minutes and 26 seconds which is vital! I've never shot a time lapse so I am a complete amateur at this point. I was going through the settings for my Hero5 and was curious if any pros would weigh in the best settings to capture this spectacle.

- Should I use just 'time lapse photo' or 'night lapse photo' for the event? Of course, I would like to capture both the sun and the total eclipse in one go.

- If you prefer time lapse photo, what settings would you use? Interval 0.5, 1, 2, or 5? Protune settings? WDR OR Raw format?

- Conversely, if you think night lapse photo is best... Shutter auto, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, 2? Interval auto, 4s, 10s, 30s, 60m? FOV choice? Protune settings? Raw format?

It is a lot to ask, I know. I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

Sightseer

Re: Best Settings to Capture the Total Solar Eclipse

I've been looking on line for the samething.  I'm where its going to be 100% in Columbia, SC.  Not found anything on line yet.  

Sightseer

Sightseer

I will be in 92% totality in Denver, Colorado. I have a tripod and an office in LoHi where I can go up to the roof for an East/South East view of the city skyline. Does anyone have setting reccomendtions for a 92% totality location?

Backpacker

starts here at 1Pm will end at 4PM  71%       

Tourist

That was the most mesmerizing experience... I managed to capture 2,043 frames from start to finish!