Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Best GoPro model for "production fleet" use?

For those of you who manage "fleets" of GoPros for long production shoots, which model have you standardized on?

TLDR: I'm trying to step up to GoPro for a multiple camera setup.  The HERO7 may be great, but I found the current version of firmware not (yet) reliable enough for 2-5 hour recordings.  I'd like to hear from people who manage multiple cameras.

My application: Backstop-mounted cameras to record baseball/softball games.  (Some videos here)

- LONG 2-5 hour recording sessions.  (via Voltaic V44 battery pack)

- 2.7K 30FPS or better

- WiFi control

- Outdoor fixed mounting in direct sunlight

I really wanted to like the HERO7 but my 5h shoots are probably exposing problems outside of what most users are doing (camera self-resets and turns off after 2+ hours, firmware non-responsive until hard reset) etc.  I tried HERO6 at 2.7K 30FPS because it makes the camera run cooler, but it's still not 100% reliable.  I can't imagine running 5 of these things where every take is critical.  It looks like a lot of movies were shot on HERO4?

Advice appreciated!  I'm OK with going down a few models or buying used if there is a model that is considered rock-solid.

Nomad

Re: Best GoPro model for "production fleet" use?

I've done 24 hour time lapses and 4-5 hour video shoots with the GP4 Black and a 24 hr battery pack.  I use a battery pack over the powered USB as it ensures the camera stays watertight during any possible rain situations.

Hiker

According to current reliability I would not go with GoPro.

Nomad

Like I said, I find my GoPro Hero 4 blacks to be excellent for recording extended film clips or time lapses.  I also use two GoPro Fusions and have often recorded until the batteries run out (about 1hr 30 mins) with no issues.  I have done all night long time lapses with a GP6 Black with great success, the only time I ran into an issue was when I updated the Firmware.  I didn't realize that it set everything back to the defaults (including the "auto off" option of 15 minutes).  

I find there's some iffyness with the GoPro App and the Fusion camera's, but I do 90% of my editing on my Laptop so it's never a huge issue.  

Highlighted
Hiker

Update: After 100+ hours of tests with HERO 5/6/7, I've chosen to go with a fleet of HERO5 units.

I'm satisfied but wish this process hadn't taken so long.

My findings (YMMV)...

- HERO5 is the most stable, especially when using larger SD cards, and particularly when WiFi is used for remote monitoring.

- HERO5 firmware is more "crisp" and responsive, which is apparent when you use the units side-by-side. 

- Pro: GPS & 4K, both of which are required for my application.  (GPS is only in HERO5 and later models, which is why I didn't consider the workhorse HERO4.)

- Pro: cheaper

- Con: No zoom, no hypersmooth.

I really wanted to use newer cameras, but I found HERO6 and HERO7 more likely to crash when doing extended records with large SD cards (yes, the GoPro approved 128GB and 256GB cards).  I don't want to re-visit the heated forum threads, just to say that I did see real stability differences.  And to say that camera temperature is a decent predictor of (in)stability.  I suspect HERO7 (and hopefully 6) firmware will be upgraded, but I couldn't wait any longer.

One unsubstantiated theory: GoPro made a big change and switched its system chip vendor starting between HERO5 / HERO6 (from Ambarella to Socionext).  My guess is that something changed in the HW/RTOS that makes the newer systems less robust against timeouts caused by SD or WiFi hiccups.  I would assume this could be addressed by a firmware update, but users like me seem to be in the minority.