Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Best Camera Setup for Scenic Highway Recording

I have a new GoPro Hero 5 Session and would like advise on the best recording setup for a scenic highway drive.  I just did a test at 1080 - 90 W but ended up seeing part of the dashboard in my car.  I had the GoPro mounted to the dashboard obviously.  Any suggestion will certainly be appreciated.  I'm new at this.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Best Camera Setup for Scenic Highway Recording

How can I keep the camera powered while driving/recording?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Mounting it to the (exterior) roof or hood of your car would yield the best views.  4k on wide at 30 FPS is perfect for scenic drives.

Highlighted
Tourist

It'd be my luck the thing would fly off the roof.  Thanks for the 4k on wide at 30 FPS recommendation.

Highlighted
Tourist

It will not, I have several mounts on my motorcycle and none have ever fallen off.  To ensure a good application of the adhesive backing, I I thoroughly clean the surface with rubbing alcohol before the application.  Then I wait about 12-24 hours before using it on the road/track.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @stephanl63600,

Depending on what you are after you may want to play around with some time lapse video, especially if you can keep the camera externally powered for the drive!

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

How can I keep the camera powered while driving/recording?

Highlighted
GoPro

@stephanl63600 All you would need to do is have a long enough USB-C cable to plug the camera in to an outlet in the car! Once it is plugged in you can record for extended periods of time.

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

Nice!  Thank you.  Is that the exact spec. I need?  USB-C ?