Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Battery when plugged in

[ New ]
I intend to have the GoPro in one spot in the home. Do you recommend the camera to be plugged in always and remove battery?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Battery when plugged in

[ New ]

Hello @suniv880.

It will depend on what purpose your have for the camera. If you are doing an extending recording, it would be best to keep the camera plugged in with the battery removed. Removing the battery allows more space to dissipate heat preventing any increase in the camera's temperature. 

Make sure that the camera is charged using the provided cable in the package, and that the power source outputs the recommended 5V, 1-2A. Also, ensure that the camera is protected against possible water, dust, or dirt exposure as the charging port is open. 

Hope this helps! Feel free to post back for any other questions that you may have. 

Best regards, 

Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @suniv880.

It will depend on what purpose your have for the camera. If you are doing an extending recording, it would be best to keep the camera plugged in with the battery removed. Removing the battery allows more space to dissipate heat preventing any increase in the camera's temperature. 

Make sure that the camera is charged using the provided cable in the package, and that the power source outputs the recommended 5V, 1-2A. Also, ensure that the camera is protected against possible water, dust, or dirt exposure as the charging port is open. 

Hope this helps! Feel free to post back for any other questions that you may have. 

Best regards, 

Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you, Marius. I intend capture home videos. No extended recording. I do use the charger that came with the camera.
GoPro

[ New ]

@suniv880, just to clarify what has been suggested, the camera will work normally when powered from an external power source 5V 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO7 Black, Silver and White, HERO6 Black, Fusion, HERO5 Black and HERO5 Session) via GoPro USB-C cable.

I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous, long recording (i.e more than two hours). 

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops. 

Feel free to post back if anything else comes up. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!