Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Battery drain when off

@johnleslie1 and @michaelt7627

I'm sorry to hear about those issues with your cameras! That's not normal for the cameras to act in that way, and if you've already tried the troubleshooting outlined earlier on in this thread then I'd recommend reaching out to the Support Team so that they can help you out further. 

All the best, 

Matt B. 

Hiker

I wanted to post a follow-up to this thread.  I'm on my 3rd Silver for the same problem, of it draining the battery when left off.  I believe that it is heat damaging something in the camera.  both of my GoPros worked fine until I tried using them as a dash camera.  After being run on extended drives with a USB cable plugged into them, they started acting up.  With this 3rd camera I bought a skeleton case and am able to direct my air conditioning vent at it to keep it cool while driving.  After 4000 miles I still have no troubles.  

While this test is hardly conclusive, it is interesting.  Anyone else have a similar experience?  It would be nice to know what is causing this problem. I'm not the only guy with this trouble on his Silver.  

Joe

GoPro

Hi @josephr56

That is interesting. The camera shouldn't discharge too much while turned off, but leaving it in the heat is definitely going to limit the functions of the camera. Additionally, are you using an SD card from the recommended list? The camera can scan a card even when turned off, so if there is a compatibility issue then the camera might be working hard the whole time that it is turned off, scanning the card, erroring out, and trying to scan again. 

Sightseer

Hi, I am having the same problem with my gopro hero 4 silver. I fully charge the battery and then turn it off. It sits over night and when I go to power it on it is dead and I have to recharge it. Are there any solutions? The camera is less than a month old so Idk why the battery would be discharging over night. Please get back to me on this with some solutions. I'd like to use my gopro at some point ... since I paid 400+ dollars for it...

GoPro

Hi @foggycliff74362

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble! I would recommend trying the steps that were already mentioned in this thread; namely, verifying that the Wi-Fi is turned off (no blue blinking light), trying a different battery, trying a different SD card, and updating the camera. The only distinction I would say is that since your camera is less than a month old, you might want to check in with the place you bought it from to see if they can perform these tests for you and swap out the camera if it is found to not be working properly. That is, they may be able to provide a battery or another SD card to try and then you could swap out the camera if it is still discharging overnight. 

That is not normal for the cameras to do, so you do want to take action to see if it is the card, battery, or camera, and then take the appropriate steps either with GoPro Support or with the place you bought the camera from in order to get the issue taken care of. 

Sightseer

I just bought My Hero 4 black last week. Im going through the suggested steps right now because it is doing the same thing. Battery is draining rapid when power is off. This is really bad for me, as im in the Philippines right now, their stores only have a 7 day exchange and it takes months to get anything new in. I just bought a smart remote and LCD for it. If i have to mail this in for repair, ill have to pay alot to ship it. and not counting the wait time. I bought this camera for our trip next month, i was bragging to my wife how reliable thse are and this starts. Wht should be my next steps if the other test fails?

Sightseer

Hello,

I am having the exact same problems with my battery, get it to a full charge, then turn the camera off and by the morning, the next time I go to use it, it is dead and has to be charged again. Tried turning all the features off but the camera/battery wont hold a charge. Wondering if there is a fix to this that has been come upon outside of what has already been suggested as that hasnt yet worked. Not too excited about charging the battery and then removing it and keeping outside of the camera every time I want to charge the battery. Thoughts?

Adventurer

@superjump34355

The only "solutions" I can thin of would be to reset your camera https://gopro.com/support/articles/how-to-reset-the-camera-to-factory-defaults , run the manual update https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera and make sure you are using a recommended card https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations .

If you are still having issues, contact Customer Service https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

Regards,

Daniel