Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Battery drain when off

@josephr56

Thanks for being so thorough in your testing! That's definitely not normal, and I think we can even pass over the batter as the culprit in this case. I'll follow up with you in our email correspondence and then we can post back with how we will move forward. 

Hiker

The final results are in.  With the SD card out of it, the battery still drains in the same amount of time.  

I appreciate the help in diagnosing it while it is still in my hands.  It would be silly to have to return it if there was an easy fix for it, so thanks for your patience in getting this thing sorted out.  

I replied to your email with the info you requested.

Joe

Hiker

I got my new camera this week.  Last night I charged the battery and this morning it was still fully charged!  I'm glad I was able to get this taken care of without any hassle.  

Thanks for your help.

Joe

GoPro

@josephr56

Awesome! I'm really glad to hear that! Feel free to open up new threads or answer other users' questions as you keep using your camera!

Best, 

Matt B. 

Anonymous

Hello, I just received my ne Hero4 Black and I am having the same issue in regards to the battery draining. I have reset the camera, charged it with and without the SD card and the battery drains over-night if left in the camera. I charge it unti the light goes off, check the battery status thru the camera and also the app and it shows 100%. I then turn off the wi-fi and the battery is dead by morning. Just like the original post, the battery is fine if left out of the camera. I did notice that once I film in 4k, the GoPro gets extremely hot and there is little to no battery life, the unit gets so hot that it wont charge unless i cool the battery in the freezer. I have only had it for 4 days. A second issue is that I cannot playback video thru the HDMI output on my 4K TV. I can see everything on the screen and once I press play, it plays for a second then stops. I am begining to think that I have a deffective unit. Please advise.

GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear you're running into that trouble with the camera. It sounds like you've done the troubleshooting and like you've read through this thread which is ultimately how you will find your answer. 

At this point, I would try doing anything else listed in this thread that you haven't tried so far: for example, updating the camera manually using the link HERE and trying a different battery in the camera to see if that corrects the way it is functioning. If that doesn't do the trick, I would exchange the camera at the store you bought it from (possibly the fastest option) or open up a Support Case with us directly to see if an agent can look into the warranty of the camera. 

Please let us know how it all turns out!

Tourist

This post is really good so far.

I have the Hero3 silver & I am having the exact same problem. I'll keep an eye on this post to see if you come up with an actual solution to this issue, but I though the poster, & customer service would like to know you are not the only one with this issue. 

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I've been having the same issue with my GoPro Hero4 Silver -- the battery drains and the camera heats up even when turned off. I was able to format the SD card and had also manually updated the firmware, yet the camera still heats up. The battery usually gets me throughout a whole day of use (after taking tons of pictures), but now it only takes a few minutes and the battery is dead. It just suddenly happened. The battery looks fine, nothing unusual whatsoever. I charge the camera on my computer.

I also saw a small dent on the plate near the lens (picture uploaded) -- I actually got shocked because I haven't dropped it or can't recall that it got sat on (LOL) and I've been taking good care of the camera since the time my sister bought it for me. The camera was just bought around 2-3 months ago. This is making me sad as I enjoy using it so much.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

13292857_10153635898325980_1440171025_n.jpg