Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Battery drain when off

[ New ]
Same thing happens to mine!!!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hey folks, 

This is not something that you should expect to happen with your camera. Mine doesn't do it, and I've only seldom seen such an issue. Please check the following factors:

1) Wireless: The HERO5 camera uses a low energy bluetooth setting to maintain connection so this really should take very little battery, but just to be safe, make sure that you have connections turned off in the connections menu of the camera. The Power symbol next to the Wireless Connections option should be greyed out rather than bright white. 

2) Charging: Make sure that when you're charging you see NOTHING on the front screen, not even a battery with its bars moving. This can be a point of confusion in that this is maintaining the battery but doesn't provide an adequate charge if you are trying to charge up the battery for later use. This should only be done when you are using the camera at the same time it is plugged in. 

3) Try removing the SD card as a test once the camera has been charged. As another user mentioned, the camera may get stuck trying to index the card and use up the battery if there's a card issue. This would just be a test to see if that is what is causing the issue. 

4) Try updating your camera to the latest software or reinstalling that software to make sure that the camera is operating properly. 

If none of those steps work, it may be a case where you'd need to get your camera swapped under warranty or exchanged from the place where you bought it. As mentioned before, this is not expected behavior that the camera should lose full charge in a day. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

After 5 days of chasing all the wild geese suggestions - swapping out and removing SD card, turning off wireless connectivity, disabling GPS, quadruple checking everything, I finally just took mine back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another one.  The new one works fine. No battery drain even with GPS left on, etc - when it's turned off, it's off.  Loses only about 1% or less of battery per day.

Apparently this is not as rare a problem as GoPro would like to think.  If your battery drains fast when the camera is turned off and you can exchange it, just do it.  You'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

Glad to hear you're up and running.

Apparently this is a rare problem as there are only three people in this thread reporting an issue with Hero5 and since your replacement works....

Anonymous

[ New ]

When I was exchanging mine at Best Buy there was another guy there for the exact same reason - identical problem.  We both bought our units on the first day of release, at the same store.  Maybe they had a bad batch, who knows.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I've bought mine Hero5 yesterday and same issue here. Im lucky i bought it 2 weeks before my trip to Vietnam (the main reason i bough it really) so now I have chance to return it to store. I hope that whole procedure wont take to long because i would be freakin angry that spending nearly 500$ would be waste.

Tourist

[ New ]

That's right, mattb, this is not something we expect, and yet it happens. But there is another thing we shouldn't expect - the company that makes cameras leaving its customers with no hardware support whatsoever. All "solutions" in this thread are - replace your camera under warranty. It happened so that my camera is a few months off waranty. And what's the response from Gopro? - Sorry we cannot help you. 

I just want everyone who considers buying a new gopro camera to be aware of this - anything happens to your camera in a year - you are on your own. GoPro will not even attempt to fix your camera, or accept responsibility for a desing flaw. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just to add I have the same problem with my Go Pro Hero5.

I purchased one two weeks ago and the battery drained like crazy and took forever to charge. Swapped it for another and the camera held full charge for several days switched off - without a memory card. 
Once the memory card was in the battery was flat overnight.

Seems like a ridiculous design flaw for a £350 camera. On a side note, my Nikon D5100 maintains charge for over 7 months in the camera, so this is a expensive joke if you ask me.