Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Battery drain when off

There is no solution to this. Not from GoPro anyway. If that happens to your camera and it's off warranty - you are screwed

My warranty ran out a few months back. Now something happened with the camera while it was charging - it is stuck in USB mode, and, the worst part - it discharges batteries when the camera is off. I leave a battery in there and a few hours later - it's empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3UnpAgkZk

Here is what I got back from GoPro support:

as of the moment, we don't have service centers that fix camera issues. The reason being is because the camera is a complicated device on it's own, that the cost of having the camera fixed is almost the same as buying a new one.

And then this :

Based on the information you have provided us, it seems the camera is already out of warranty. However, we do want to help out as best we can by offering a 20% discount towards a new camera purchase. This one-time exception can be applied to the purchase of any new camera available on gopro.com. Refurbished camera purchases are not included.

So... they offer me to spend another $400 on a camera they won't support. Brilliant!

I know that there will be zero help from GoPro, but all I really want to know is how to disable USB port all together (if possible), so camera doesn't even try to charge or connect to anything. Theoretically, it even should be even possible to do it in firmware, but I am pretty GoPro won't go there.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Seriously. GoPro? This is obvisouly and extremely BAD design flaw in a $500 camera and you offer this guy a 20% discount on a new flippin camera? I really wish I would have known about this before I went out and bought one. Just got it yesterday and it's already experiencing this DESIGN FLAW.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Got another reply from GoPro "support" - basically, we cannot help you - just remove the battery when not in use. Sure...  nice solution for a 500$ action cam.

Highlighted
Anonymous

same problem for me. i just purchased  hero4 silver and when its off it drains the battery within one night. 

i tried all these:

-different battery

-charge from external sourche than my pc

-left it without the sd card in

-upgrade to latest fimware.

-reset the camera

of course the wifi is closed. 

is there anythig else i can do or i need to replace it ? 

Highlighted
Anonymous

I have a new Hero5 Black. Purchased four days ago.  Same battery drain when off problem as with the ealier GoPros listed in this thread. Changed batteries, changed SD cards, etc.  Problem continues.  This is apparently a design flaw that has persisted across several generations of GoPros, and the company seems to be ignoring it.  I'm going to attempt to exchange the camera and see what happens.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for the Info, I still have the same problem with my GPH4 Black.
This problem really is a pain in the ass. To have an "ACTION" camera that not ready for "ACTION" at all times is a complete waste of money.

I will not buy another GoPro product until they recognize this is a design fault, I will also be advising my collegues and other film makers to avoid it until it is rectified.

Have you tried specifically the memory cards they list as "compatable" or are you using the same memory card that you used in your previous GoPros ? Someone told me there is a indexing issue with certain sd cards that causes the camera to keep trying to index the card even when its turned off, thus draining the battery.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes, I'm using a SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-1 64GB card, which is on the HERO5 Black compatible card list.  I've used two of them, both with the same problem.  I just exchanged the first HERO5 Black for another one and finished charging it about 15 minutes ago.  Camera is turned off and I'm going to check it in about 6 hours and see if the charge holds on this one.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I also bought a GoPro 5 last week and set it up and chraged it and the battery was dead the next day. I Repeated the charging and it was dead again the following day so I went through the settings and turned off the GPS and it now loses less than 5% in 24 hours so problem solved but I won't be using the GPS function.