Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Battery drain when off

[ New ]
If you sell consumer goods in Denmark then you are doomed to warrant the stuff for two years. Whether it's going to be a problem for the retailer to get refurbished from the brand/company is not a problem of mine.
Only a moral issue for go pro. I have the receipt 😊
Anonymous

[ New ]
My battery does the exact same thing. I literally charge it everyday and barely use it because when I turn it on it's always dead.
Explorer

[ New ]
Are you on the latest firmware update and using a recommended SD card? If so, contract the GoPro Support team.
Anonymous

[ New ]

It is troubeling that the neatest little gadget has become such a dissapointment.
I got an answer from GP to my support mail, after fishing for it here. Haven't gotten back to them yet. Because after following all their steps and recomendations I didn't get hardly any better performance, not near what the official expectation is (the recording times in their chart) and far from what I was getting before updating to the newest firmware. I had better battery life than what is officially expected...
The issue is kinda making me want to just dump the whole thing and all the extra things I bought for it... :-(

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just have it replaced by warranty and forget about all the troubles. Gopro has very good customer service and if your camera is really faulty they will replace it with no problems!

Tourist

[ New ]

Gopro has the worst customer service that a tech company can have. All they can do is to replace the camera under warranty. That if you have warranty. If you don't - no repair service, no support.

Anyway, I sent my camera to these guys - http://www.videocamrepair.com/ and they repaired it. Cheaper than buying a new camera. They also confirmed that damage to my gopro hero 4 black was caused by overheating while charging. GoPro obviously has a design flaw in those camera's battery/charging systems, but they won't admit it, nor they would provide service. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have been reading about the battery drain problem.  I have a new Hero 5 Black.  Have there been any similar problems reported with the Hero 5 Black?  I have only had mine for a few hours and still learning.  Should I be watching?

Anonymous

[ New ]

I took my hero4 silver to the store on Tuesday, and they were very accomodating. It'll be interesting to see what solution they come up with! ;-)

Anonymous

[ New ]

It seems that the battery draining while turned off problem happens when the "On Camera Voice Control" is turn on.  For some reason, this causes the batter to drain even after the camera is turned off.  Turning off the "On Camera Voice Control" option before you turn off the camera should prevent the battery from draining after the camera is turned off.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

As long as you are on the latest firmware https://gopro.com/update/hero5 and are using a SD card on the list of cards that have been tested and verified https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations you shouldn't have any issues.  A slight drain is normal and to be expected (dropping 10-20% in a week) but anything more than that could signal an issue with your SD card or camera.  Turning off extra features might help but really shouldn't be necessary.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Snowystar86 did they replace your power circuit board?
Tourist

[ New ]

sweetjump14060 they told me that heat from usb while charging caused some damage on the main board as well. They replaced both, usb board and main board. Tested it for a few days, works as it should now. I am going to charge batteries outside of the camera now on.

And... Gopro support did nothing. Claiming it would be as expensive for them to fix it as to make a new camera. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
At the very minimum, Gopro should provide some sort of detailed info regarding the faulty part in need of replacement. For example, if the issue is commonly known to be a bad power circuit, then gopro support should admit the problem, and provide step by step instructions on how to replace it. I have found the power board online for $15 and I have no other choice but to try it out. If that doesnt work it is going in the trash because I wont be able to bring myself to sell it with known issues.
Anonymous

[ New ]
How much did they charge to fix yours, if you dont mind me asking?
Explorer

[ New ]
I strongly recommend against opening up the camera. If you have a Hero5, at most, your camera is 6 months old and still under warranty. My Hero5 does not have battery drain. I'm on the latest firmware and using a new Samsung Pro 64GB card. In most cases, the battery drain is do to an issue with the SD card. As far as damage while charging, as long as you were using the included GoPro cable and connected to a 5 volt 1 amp charger, any damage should be covered. I've never seen this happen with a GoPro camera but getting a RMA replacement is the most common action in these cases.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Confused why you continue to blame the problem on the sd card. Many of us have switched it out, updated firmware and the problem remains. Mine is a hero 4, out of warranty and well taken care of with minimal usage. $400 spent. Can you identify the part that is bad? What is RMA?
Anonymous

[ New ]

I got the same issue and same answers from GoPro, it really **bleep**ed me. Their support is poor and the only thing they know is "update your camera".

Poor

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey I'm having the same problem. Last night I fully charged the camera battery hoping to use it today morning. However, when I got up the charge in the battery was back to zero and it wasn't even switching on. I have a hero 4.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

Your best option is to make sure you have a recommended card, https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Reformat it in your computer and manually download the latest firmware (even if you are on the latest version) update/hero4

Charge your camera and then see if it happens again.  If it does, try another SD card if you can and repeat the above steps.  If it continues to discharge over night, contact the Support Team. https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

Anonymous

[ New ]

YES! I've been having the exact same problem, I just got my GoPro Hero 4 the other week and have barely used it. But yet even when fully charged the camera will be dead the next time that I pick it up. It recharges quickly, which I imagine is just because it drains so freaking fast. Even faster with wifi on, if I ever want to bring it anywhere I have to bring a battery pack, SMH.

Explorer

[ New ]
99.9% of fast battery drain is due to an issue with the SD card. Format the card (full not quick), leave the lable (name) blank, download the manual update, and see if the issue continues. If so, repeat the above steps with a new SD card (from GoPro's list of cards for consideration). Always make sure Wi-Fi is turned off on Hero4 and older cameras.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, Just thought I would add mine to the list too!

I have a Hero 4 silver. My battery drains within a few hours, while switched off. Within an hour if bluetooth is on and the camera get hot. 

I was unable to record an entire afternoon of an experience I will never get again. My camera was in warranty when the issue started but I thought maybe I was doing something wrong and used the camera infrequently but no, it happens all the time on all four batteries and all four SD cards.

I think Gopro need to reckognise this issue. Looking at the thread it is not rare. There will be lots of people like me who are just putting up with it rather than reporting it.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm completely agree with you.

Actually, if you read the header of this internet tab, it says "Solved"!!!

What we should do is to open a new incident each of us, I'm gonna do it indeed!

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem with my hero4 silver. i don't use it very often, but every time i want to use it, i have to charge it first. very annoying and stupid problem for a 400$ camera.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I took mine to the shop. They sent it to their repair place. About twenty days later I got the message that they had sent GoPro a request to replace it. A week after that I got the message that I was to come to the store, bringing the assesories that were in the original box, and that I would have it replaced with a new camera. Lo and behold they didn't have any hero4 silver, so I ended up with a hero5 black. I was at first a bit...but then I can't use my three extra batteries and frames any more... But, I am glad I got the hero5 black, now that I've learned the new menu setup and so forth, it works swell, and without the wifi on... one battery keeps it working as a 'tourist/dogwalker' camera for a whole weekend :-) (My 4silver was just over a year old, here the mandatory reclaiming right is now two years).

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@bravejump28105 - If you store the batteries outside of the camera, they'll likely hold more charge if you use the camera infrequently.

Anonymous

[ New ]

So, after 16 pages of comments...with the title "Solved".

Summary:

-Its happening to a lot of cameras. Especially Hero 4, 5, and Sessions.

-Camera shouldn't do that...

-If under warrenty, exchange it at the place of purchase and hope for the best.

-If not under warrenty, give GoPro more money and hope for the best,

Did I miss anything? Nope.

Now I'm getting upset.

Who is GoPro's biggest competitor?

Tourist

[ New ]

You got it! GoPro support sucks balls.

Feature for feature, I would say Sony is the way to go.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Mine does the same thing. The power button isn't a true disconnecting means. It just puts the microprocesssor in sleep mode and doesn't fully turn it off. I guarantee this is why it slowly drains power over time. The power button senses a press and sends a Binary 1 or 0 command to the microprocessor turning it on or off. The power button circuit has to have constant power supplied to it to sense the depressing of the button. Hopefully they corrected this in later models, but doubt it. The only way to truly shutoff power is to physically put a mechanical switch in line on the battery. It is a major nuisance on mine as well.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]
Sorry, I meant The microprocessor has to have constant power aupplied to it...
Anonymous

[ New ]

Exact same problem. 

I have a gopro 3 silver and a gopro 4 black , the two of them have the same problem. 
I bought both of them a long time ago.. so the warranty is expired. 

But it sounds like a problem from the factory. 

It´s a shame because I love my gopro but I think I gonna dump those two and see if I´ll buy a gopro or one of another brand. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I recently started having the same problem with my Hero4 Silver. I hadn't been using it very much over the past several months, so when I was preparing for a recent trip I charged the two GoPro batteries and updated the firmware. I was using the same microSD card I had been using in the camera the entire time I've had it, and I reformatted the card in camera. This problem is new to me -- I used to be able to leave the batteries in and they would hold a charge for weeks, maybe even months. Not a full charge, for sure, but there would be something left. For some reason it feels like the updated firmware is what caused it. Kind of a bummer, but if it just means that I need to store my fully charged batteries outside the camera I guess that's what I'll do. In a way, I'm glad to know that others are having this same issue and it isn't just me and my camera.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes, soring battteries apart is the best solution, but not most convenient.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I've just got my gopro fusion and I had the same problem as the guy mentioned above. So what I suppose to do?

Tourist

[ New ]

I got my HERO 3 five years ago and have struggled with the battery drain issue for 4 of those years. It is nice to know the problem was not me.  Countless opportunities were lost for great captures because of this.  GoPro should have issued a recall years ago.  I am done with them for good.  No positive recommendations from me ever again!

Anonymous

[ New ]

HI, I have this exact same damage (same place and same shape!) on my gopro hero 4 silver. I bought second hand so I assumed it was damage from previouis owner but reading through posts about fast battery drain (which I am experiencing) I came across your picture! 

did you ever get to the bottom of it?

cheers

Struan 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, bad camera design. It overheats and damages the main board. Anyway, I sent my camera to these guys - http://www.videocamrepair.com/ and they repaired it. Cheaper than buying a new camera. They also confirmed that damage to my gopro hero 4 black was caused by overheating while charging. GoPro obviously has a design flaw in those camera's battery/charging systems, but they won't admit it, nor they would provide any service. Not buying other GoPro ever again.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Agree with snowystar86 on this one... Overheating while charging.

You could buy an external battery charger, but this is not much good if the damage has already been done to your camera's PCB.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi Matt, it didn't look like there was a resolution here. I'm facing
Tourist

[ New ]
A similar problem
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bluedawn13652., 

Thank you for reaching out. Which camera model are you using? Is the battery drain issue a recent occurrence? What exactly happens? Please provide us more information so we can help better. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
The only assistance GoPro can provide is replacement under warranty. If your camera off the warranty you are on your own. The worst technical support you can experience is GoPro.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I have a GP4 Hero black with 4 batteries and 2 sd cards (one of them is a samsung pro).  and i cant even record a 5 minutes video :(

Battery drain is not the first issue that i faced with this camera , i was having the freezing  issue that i fixed by replacing the  sensor.
and now I am facing this battery drain issue and i am  trying  all the possible fixes proposed in this A.K.A "Solved"  page but in vain. I am so pissed off. 
Ps :   i have no warranty and This is gonna be my last GOpro purchase.

adios

Sightseer

[ New ]
Hello, 
I'm ''glad'' that my camera for which I paid 350€ is useless. I assumed that after a couple of years the battery had died, I bought a new one, and then I find that there is no problem with the battery. As I read from other users, the problem is clear and on the manufacturer's side. You just do not want to admit it.

Do you have any suggestions what to do now with the camera?
Thanks for the reply.

Regards, 
Grega
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @redpike6006

Sorry to hear about your camera. It would be best to get in touch with our support team so they can look into options for you. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Sightseer

[ New ]

I actually have the same issue with my Go Pro 2018. I fully charged it, but then the next day I opened it it said it was low battery

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @sweetmesa44433

Has this always been the case? See if there are features on the camera that are on like Wi-Fi that could potentially consume battery power. To determine the integrity of the battery, and to isolate whether this is an issue with the camera or the battery, perform a short record time test following  instructions here.  Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear gopro,

I have a gopro hero 6 black which I ordered in the UK last november (2017). I have been travelling since January across India and south east asia. I love the camera and have taken some great videos and pictures with it. For the last couple of months, however, I have been having a problem with it, similar to the issues described in this thread - my camera has been draining the battery when it is turned off! I have followed all the advice suggested:

- I have manually updated the firmware to the latest version (could not seem to get the automatic update via the app to work)
- I have formatted the SD card (which is a SanDisk extreme PRO, as recommended by GoPro)
- I have tried a different SD card
- I have tried different batteries and am certain the issue is not with the battery (I own four different batteries for this camera - all official GoPro batteries).
- I have also tried removing the SD card and the battery drain still occurs.

None of those things solved the issue. I do not know the exact time it takes for the battery to drain but a fully charged battery will be empty within 24 hours if left in the camera. The same batteries do not drain (at any notable rate) when left out of the camera. The battery life when the camera is on may have also been affected.

I did not experience this issue when my camera was new it has only been the last couple of months. I am currently in Australia and will be here for the next year or so, therefore cannot simply exchange the camera at the store I bought it. Can you please advise if I can take my camera for repair or replacement as it is still under warranty?

I have tried to open a support case via chat on gopro.com/help/ContactUs but it says that chat is closed and is currently unavailable to me - please help!

I have also tried to send this via email to customerservices.gopro.com (an address I found on a different thread) but the email was not delivered as the recipient address was rejected?! Please help!

Best wishes, 

James

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi, This is exactly what happened to my GPH4 Black. I'm well out of warranty so now I have an action camera that is never ready for action.

I found this info on a different rant about the same problem with a GoPro Fusion:

"First, you'll want to make sure that the wifi connection from the camera is turned off when you turn the camera off. Leaving that connection on can drain power even when the camera appears to be off. If the wifi and the camera are both off and you're still getting significant battery drain, please contact the Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs."

If no response within 48 hours I would take it to social media. Twitter seems to get companies to respond very quickly to complaints.

You are not the only one and this problem is not specific to a particular model/year. Its the recurring problem year after year and nothing is ever done about it. You will get a relacement if its still under warranty though.

Keep this post updated with your results, Thanks and good luck