Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Battery drain when off

HI, I have this exact same damage (same place and same shape!) on my gopro hero 4 silver. I bought second hand so I assumed it was damage from previouis owner but reading through posts about fast battery drain (which I am experiencing) I came across your picture! 

did you ever get to the bottom of it?

cheers

Struan 

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, bad camera design. It overheats and damages the main board. Anyway, I sent my camera to these guys - http://www.videocamrepair.com/ and they repaired it. Cheaper than buying a new camera. They also confirmed that damage to my gopro hero 4 black was caused by overheating while charging. GoPro obviously has a design flaw in those camera's battery/charging systems, but they won't admit it, nor they would provide any service. Not buying other GoPro ever again.

Highlighted
Tourist

Agree with snowystar86 on this one... Overheating while charging.

You could buy an external battery charger, but this is not much good if the damage has already been done to your camera's PCB.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Matt, it didn't look like there was a resolution here. I'm facing
Highlighted
Tourist

A similar problem
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bluedawn13652., 

Thank you for reaching out. Which camera model are you using? Is the battery drain issue a recent occurrence? What exactly happens? Please provide us more information so we can help better. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

The only assistance GoPro can provide is replacement under warranty. If your camera off the warranty you are on your own. The worst technical support you can experience is GoPro.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I have a GP4 Hero black with 4 batteries and 2 sd cards (one of them is a samsung pro).  and i cant even record a 5 minutes video :(

Battery drain is not the first issue that i faced with this camera , i was having the freezing  issue that i fixed by replacing the  sensor.
and now I am facing this battery drain issue and i am  trying  all the possible fixes proposed in this A.K.A "Solved"  page but in vain. I am so pissed off. 
Ps :   i have no warranty and This is gonna be my last GOpro purchase.

adios