Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Battery drain when off

[ New ]

I've got a few questions regarding my new Silver.  The camera has a problem draining the battery when the camera is turned off.  I can full charge the battery and use it as designed.  It will work in 1080-60 video mode for a little over an hour.  however, if you fully charge the battery and turn the camera off, the battery will be dead in about 6 hours.  The WiFi is turned off, and if you remove the battery from the camera it doesn't drain.  It stays charged for days unless it is installed in the camera, then it discharges.  So I'm convinced that the camera is draining the battery.  Is this common?  Is there a field fix for this or does it have to go in for repair?

Also, when using the camera in 1080-60 Superview, the camera will only run for about 2 hours with a fully charged battery and a USB charger plugged into it.  When it dies, it shuts off because the voltage is low, and the battery is dead.  I've tried a few different USB chargers, including a 5A model.  If I want the camera to run continuously I have to slow down the frame rate.  Is it normal that power consumption will outrun the charger at 1080-60?  I find that hard to believe.  Maybe the internal drain makes it outrun the charging capacity of the camera.  WiFi is also off while the camera is being used.  If I leave it on, the camera dies sooner than 2 hours.

Lastly, what is your luck with getting email support? I typed a detailed description of my problem, got a generic reply regarding a charging issue(obviously never read the email), I replied with a detailed answer, again, and then never heard back. Should I just call the support number?

Any help appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Battery drain when off

[ New ]

@Anonymous, 

Thanks for being so thorough in your testing! That's definitely not normal, and I think we can even pass over the batter as the culprit in this case. I'll follow up with you in our email correspondence and then we can post back with how we will move forward. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for posting to the Support Hub! I'm sorry to hear that's happening with your camera as it shouldn't be the case. The battery will discharge slightly more quickly when inserted into the camera as opposed to sitting outside of it, but definitely not in 6 hours.

As for the external charger, did you mean a 5V charger? 5A will be way too much juice for the camera, so I wouldn't recommend using that. That being said, 1080-60 isn't such a powerful setting that the camera should outpace the charger. 

One quick fix you could try is running an update to the firmware to the camera. This can sometimes correct issues with the camera's functions and you can do it manually in the link HERE. The other option to try would be using a different battery. 

And finally, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience with your email support case thus far. I'm going to take your case over to continue providing help there too. 

Please let us know how that goes. 

Matt B. 
GoPro Support Hub Moderator
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the email, and the speedy reply here.  I did get an email back this morning in regards to my original claim.  I replied to their questions on Monday.  I shouldn't have given up on them yet.

Thanks for the instructions on loading the original software again.  That's kinda cool to be able to do that.  I just got done loading the software and I'm charging the battery until the LED goes out.  Then I'll leave the battery in it to see if it goes dead quickly again.

I'm reasonably sure the battery is OK.  It runs the camera for the expected number of minutes when fully charged, and it doesn't go dead if I leave it out of the camera, but I've been wrong plenty of times before!

The charger I referred to is a regular USB charger with 2 ports.  It is 5V, but capable of delivering 5A if needed (It is an iXCC 4.8A Dual USB Charger).   I have only used it when I needed to run/charge both my GPS and phone at the same time.  

I will be able to test the camera over the weekend and let you know the test results.  I'm hoping the software reload fixed it!

Thanks,

Joe

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

That is a good point about the battery holding the charge while filming and when outside of the camera. It still seems conceivable to me, though, that the battery could be the aspect that isn't working properly when plugged into the camera. 

Do you happen to know anybody else with a HERO4 whose battery you could test out? 

We'll wait to see the results of the update too and then we can move forward from there. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

With airport delays and cancelled flights, I spent the last 18 hours stuck in an airport.  This was a good opportunity to play with the camera. I downloaded the new software and installed it.  I waited for the camera and battery to cool off and reach ambient temp.  I took the fully charged battery and installed it in the camera.  Within an hour the temperature of the camera raised about 30F over ambient temp.  (The 40F split you see in the image is the temp extremes, so don't take the hi/lo readings as gospel.)

This temp split remained steady for almost 7 hours, then tapered off.  I did the measurements and pics with a thermal imaging camera  (I use them for work sometimes).

I charged the battery and removed it from the camera.  This morning, 10 hours after recharging the battery, the camera and battery temps are the same as ambient, and the battery is still charged.  

All this proves is that the battery discharges rapidly when it is put in the camera.  If I was a betting man, I'd say there was a current leak in the cam, or maybe the diode for the charging circuit is leaky, allowing the battery to power it up.  A diode problem wouldn't explain why the power usage of the camera outrns the capacity of the charger, but a current leak in the camera would.  as fast as it kills the battery when turned off it could increase the current consumption of the camera by around 16%.

I don't have a buddy with a Gopro, but if you send me a test battery I will gladly return it, or the bad one, after testing it. Those padded post office enveloped are only a couple of bucks to mail.  :-)

Pic on the left: Camera and Batt at ambient temp.    Pic on the right: Camera warming up after installing the battery.

FLIR0133.jpgFLIR0119.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Joe

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

This is excellent. Thanks for posting those pictures. I just talked with one of our camera experts here in the office and he explained that what could also be happening is that the camera might be running a process in the background, most likely indexing the SD card and failing to do so properly. 

Even with the camera turned off, when an SD card is inserted the camera will scan it. This should take only a brief moment and take up no considerable amount of power, but if the camera is getting stuck in this process it would explain why it's heating up and draining the battery when inside of the camera. For that reason, I think these would be our best chances of fixing the problem. 

-Trying the update to the camera firmware as we talked about previously. 

-Reformatting the SD card. 

-Trying a different SD card if you've got one or if you can borrow one from somebody. 

Those steps might resolve the problem. If they don't we'll have to look into the warranty of the camera, which we can do in your email case. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

You're fast!   Thanks for the speedy reply.

1) I updated the firmware before I tried these tests.

2) I formatted the card after I did the update in order to remove the files, so this test was done with a fresh format.

3) I have 3 cards that I use, and the drain does happen with all of them.  I didn't check them all specifically, but i rotate them through and the drain doesn't disappear.  I will try it now with no card at all in it and we'll see what happens.

Joe

Anonymous

[ New ]

It's not looking good.  I removed the SD card and installed the battery.  I didn't turn the camera on.  Camera temp has risen from ambient to just under 100F in 55 minutes.  I'll see if the battery is dead in 6 hours and post the final results.

FLIR0139.jpg

Joe

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous, 

Thanks for being so thorough in your testing! That's definitely not normal, and I think we can even pass over the batter as the culprit in this case. I'll follow up with you in our email correspondence and then we can post back with how we will move forward. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

The final results are in.  With the SD card out of it, the battery still drains in the same amount of time.  

I appreciate the help in diagnosing it while it is still in my hands.  It would be silly to have to return it if there was an easy fix for it, so thanks for your patience in getting this thing sorted out.  

I replied to your email with the info you requested.

Joe

Anonymous

[ New ]

I got my new camera this week.  Last night I charged the battery and this morning it was still fully charged!  I'm glad I was able to get this taken care of without any hassle.  

Thanks for your help.

Joe

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous, 

Awesome! I'm really glad to hear that! Feel free to open up new threads or answer other users' questions as you keep using your camera!

Best, 

Matt B. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello, I just received my ne Hero4 Black and I am having the same issue in regards to the battery draining. I have reset the camera, charged it with and without the SD card and the battery drains over-night if left in the camera. I charge it unti the light goes off, check the battery status thru the camera and also the app and it shows 100%. I then turn off the wi-fi and the battery is dead by morning. Just like the original post, the battery is fine if left out of the camera. I did notice that once I film in 4k, the GoPro gets extremely hot and there is little to no battery life, the unit gets so hot that it wont charge unless i cool the battery in the freezer. I have only had it for 4 days. A second issue is that I cannot playback video thru the HDMI output on my 4K TV. I can see everything on the screen and once I press play, it plays for a second then stops. I am begining to think that I have a deffective unit. Please advise.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear you're running into that trouble with the camera. It sounds like you've done the troubleshooting and like you've read through this thread which is ultimately how you will find your answer. 

At this point, I would try doing anything else listed in this thread that you haven't tried so far: for example, updating the camera manually using the link HERE and trying a different battery in the camera to see if that corrects the way it is functioning. If that doesn't do the trick, I would exchange the camera at the store you bought it from (possibly the fastest option) or open up a Support Case with us directly to see if an agent can look into the warranty of the camera. 

Please let us know how it all turns out!

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]

This post is really good so far.

I have the Hero3 silver & I am having the exact same problem. I'll keep an eye on this post to see if you come up with an actual solution to this issue, but I though the poster, & customer service would like to know you are not the only one with this issue. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello everyone,

I've been having the same issue with my GoPro Hero4 Silver -- the battery drains and the camera heats up even when turned off. I was able to format the SD card and had also manually updated the firmware, yet the camera still heats up. The battery usually gets me throughout a whole day of use (after taking tons of pictures), but now it only takes a few minutes and the battery is dead. It just suddenly happened. The battery looks fine, nothing unusual whatsoever. I charge the camera on my computer.

I also saw a small dent on the plate near the lens (picture uploaded) -- I actually got shocked because I haven't dropped it or can't recall that it got sat on (LOL) and I've been taking good care of the camera since the time my sister bought it for me. The camera was just bought around 2-3 months ago. This is making me sad as I enjoy using it so much.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

13292857_10153635898325980_1440171025_n.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

@johnleslie1 and @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear about those issues with your cameras! That's not normal for the cameras to act in that way, and if you've already tried the troubleshooting outlined earlier on in this thread then I'd recommend reaching out to the Support Team so that they can help you out further. 

All the best, 

Matt B. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I wanted to post a follow-up to this thread.  I'm on my 3rd Silver for the same problem, of it draining the battery when left off.  I believe that it is heat damaging something in the camera.  both of my GoPros worked fine until I tried using them as a dash camera.  After being run on extended drives with a USB cable plugged into them, they started acting up.  With this 3rd camera I bought a skeleton case and am able to direct my air conditioning vent at it to keep it cool while driving.  After 4000 miles I still have no troubles.  

While this test is hardly conclusive, it is interesting.  Anyone else have a similar experience?  It would be nice to know what is causing this problem. I'm not the only guy with this trouble on his Silver.  

Joe

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

That is interesting. The camera shouldn't discharge too much while turned off, but leaving it in the heat is definitely going to limit the functions of the camera. Additionally, are you using an SD card from the recommended list? The camera can scan a card even when turned off, so if there is a compatibility issue then the camera might be working hard the whole time that it is turned off, scanning the card, erroring out, and trying to scan again. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi, I am having the same problem with my gopro hero 4 silver. I fully charge the battery and then turn it off. It sits over night and when I go to power it on it is dead and I have to recharge it. Are there any solutions? The camera is less than a month old so Idk why the battery would be discharging over night. Please get back to me on this with some solutions. I'd like to use my gopro at some point ... since I paid 400+ dollars for it...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble! I would recommend trying the steps that were already mentioned in this thread; namely, verifying that the Wi-Fi is turned off (no blue blinking light), trying a different battery, trying a different SD card, and updating the camera. The only distinction I would say is that since your camera is less than a month old, you might want to check in with the place you bought it from to see if they can perform these tests for you and swap out the camera if it is found to not be working properly. That is, they may be able to provide a battery or another SD card to try and then you could swap out the camera if it is still discharging overnight. 

That is not normal for the cameras to do, so you do want to take action to see if it is the card, battery, or camera, and then take the appropriate steps either with GoPro Support or with the place you bought the camera from in order to get the issue taken care of. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I just bought My Hero 4 black last week. Im going through the suggested steps right now because it is doing the same thing. Battery is draining rapid when power is off. This is really bad for me, as im in the Philippines right now, their stores only have a 7 day exchange and it takes months to get anything new in. I just bought a smart remote and LCD for it. If i have to mail this in for repair, ill have to pay alot to ship it. and not counting the wait time. I bought this camera for our trip next month, i was bragging to my wife how reliable thse are and this starts. Wht should be my next steps if the other test fails?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello,

I am having the exact same problems with my battery, get it to a full charge, then turn the camera off and by the morning, the next time I go to use it, it is dead and has to be charged again. Tried turning all the features off but the camera/battery wont hold a charge. Wondering if there is a fix to this that has been come upon outside of what has already been suggested as that hasnt yet worked. Not too excited about charging the battery and then removing it and keeping outside of the camera every time I want to charge the battery. Thoughts?

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

The only "solutions" I can thin of would be to reset your camera https://gopro.com/support/articles/how-to-reset-the-camera-to-factory-defaults , run the manual update https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera and make sure you are using a recommended card https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations .

If you are still having issues, contact Customer Service https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

Regards,

Daniel

Tourist

[ New ]

There is no solution to this. Not from GoPro anyway. If that happens to your camera and it's off warranty - you are screwed

My warranty ran out a few months back. Now something happened with the camera while it was charging - it is stuck in USB mode, and, the worst part - it discharges batteries when the camera is off. I leave a battery in there and a few hours later - it's empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3UnpAgkZk

Here is what I got back from GoPro support:

as of the moment, we don't have service centers that fix camera issues. The reason being is because the camera is a complicated device on it's own, that the cost of having the camera fixed is almost the same as buying a new one.

And then this :

Based on the information you have provided us, it seems the camera is already out of warranty. However, we do want to help out as best we can by offering a 20% discount towards a new camera purchase. This one-time exception can be applied to the purchase of any new camera available on gopro.com. Refurbished camera purchases are not included.

So... they offer me to spend another $400 on a camera they won't support. Brilliant!

I know that there will be zero help from GoPro, but all I really want to know is how to disable USB port all together (if possible), so camera doesn't even try to charge or connect to anything. Theoretically, it even should be even possible to do it in firmware, but I am pretty GoPro won't go there.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Seriously. GoPro? This is obvisouly and extremely BAD design flaw in a $500 camera and you offer this guy a 20% discount on a new flippin camera? I really wish I would have known about this before I went out and bought one. Just got it yesterday and it's already experiencing this DESIGN FLAW.

Tourist

[ New ]

Got another reply from GoPro "support" - basically, we cannot help you - just remove the battery when not in use. Sure...  nice solution for a 500$ action cam.

Anonymous

[ New ]

same problem for me. i just purchased  hero4 silver and when its off it drains the battery within one night. 

i tried all these:

-different battery

-charge from external sourche than my pc

-left it without the sd card in

-upgrade to latest fimware.

-reset the camera

of course the wifi is closed. 

is there anythig else i can do or i need to replace it ? 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have a new Hero5 Black. Purchased four days ago.  Same battery drain when off problem as with the ealier GoPros listed in this thread. Changed batteries, changed SD cards, etc.  Problem continues.  This is apparently a design flaw that has persisted across several generations of GoPros, and the company seems to be ignoring it.  I'm going to attempt to exchange the camera and see what happens.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the Info, I still have the same problem with my GPH4 Black.
This problem really is a pain in the ass. To have an "ACTION" camera that not ready for "ACTION" at all times is a complete waste of money.

I will not buy another GoPro product until they recognize this is a design fault, I will also be advising my collegues and other film makers to avoid it until it is rectified.

Have you tried specifically the memory cards they list as "compatable" or are you using the same memory card that you used in your previous GoPros ? Someone told me there is a indexing issue with certain sd cards that causes the camera to keep trying to index the card even when its turned off, thus draining the battery.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes, I'm using a SanDisk Extreme PLUS UHS-1 64GB card, which is on the HERO5 Black compatible card list.  I've used two of them, both with the same problem.  I just exchanged the first HERO5 Black for another one and finished charging it about 15 minutes ago.  Camera is turned off and I'm going to check it in about 6 hours and see if the charge holds on this one.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I also bought a GoPro 5 last week and set it up and chraged it and the battery was dead the next day. I Repeated the charging and it was dead again the following day so I went through the settings and turned off the GPS and it now loses less than 5% in 24 hours so problem solved but I won't be using the GPS function.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Same thing happens to mine!!!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hey folks, 

This is not something that you should expect to happen with your camera. Mine doesn't do it, and I've only seldom seen such an issue. Please check the following factors:

1) Wireless: The HERO5 camera uses a low energy bluetooth setting to maintain connection so this really should take very little battery, but just to be safe, make sure that you have connections turned off in the connections menu of the camera. The Power symbol next to the Wireless Connections option should be greyed out rather than bright white. 

2) Charging: Make sure that when you're charging you see NOTHING on the front screen, not even a battery with its bars moving. This can be a point of confusion in that this is maintaining the battery but doesn't provide an adequate charge if you are trying to charge up the battery for later use. This should only be done when you are using the camera at the same time it is plugged in. 

3) Try removing the SD card as a test once the camera has been charged. As another user mentioned, the camera may get stuck trying to index the card and use up the battery if there's a card issue. This would just be a test to see if that is what is causing the issue. 

4) Try updating your camera to the latest software or reinstalling that software to make sure that the camera is operating properly. 

If none of those steps work, it may be a case where you'd need to get your camera swapped under warranty or exchanged from the place where you bought it. As mentioned before, this is not expected behavior that the camera should lose full charge in a day. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

After 5 days of chasing all the wild geese suggestions - swapping out and removing SD card, turning off wireless connectivity, disabling GPS, quadruple checking everything, I finally just took mine back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another one.  The new one works fine. No battery drain even with GPS left on, etc - when it's turned off, it's off.  Loses only about 1% or less of battery per day.

Apparently this is not as rare a problem as GoPro would like to think.  If your battery drains fast when the camera is turned off and you can exchange it, just do it.  You'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

Glad to hear you're up and running.

Apparently this is a rare problem as there are only three people in this thread reporting an issue with Hero5 and since your replacement works....

Anonymous

[ New ]

When I was exchanging mine at Best Buy there was another guy there for the exact same reason - identical problem.  We both bought our units on the first day of release, at the same store.  Maybe they had a bad batch, who knows.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I've bought mine Hero5 yesterday and same issue here. Im lucky i bought it 2 weeks before my trip to Vietnam (the main reason i bough it really) so now I have chance to return it to store. I hope that whole procedure wont take to long because i would be freakin angry that spending nearly 500$ would be waste.

Tourist

[ New ]

That's right, mattb, this is not something we expect, and yet it happens. But there is another thing we shouldn't expect - the company that makes cameras leaving its customers with no hardware support whatsoever. All "solutions" in this thread are - replace your camera under warranty. It happened so that my camera is a few months off waranty. And what's the response from Gopro? - Sorry we cannot help you. 

I just want everyone who considers buying a new gopro camera to be aware of this - anything happens to your camera in a year - you are on your own. GoPro will not even attempt to fix your camera, or accept responsibility for a desing flaw. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just to add I have the same problem with my Go Pro Hero5.

I purchased one two weeks ago and the battery drained like crazy and took forever to charge. Swapped it for another and the camera held full charge for several days switched off - without a memory card. 
Once the memory card was in the battery was flat overnight.

Seems like a ridiculous design flaw for a £350 camera. On a side note, my Nikon D5100 maintains charge for over 7 months in the camera, so this is a expensive joke if you ask me.

Anonymous

[ New ]

After having it two weeks now i had that issue just once and then it dissapeared completely. From my experience it happened with my old and "lazy" micro sd card with poor transfers.It was actually taken out of the smartfone so it had a lot random data on it with quite complicated directory structure so that points out that is indexing issue because of "unfamiliar" filetypes and maybe some "file structure" problem i guess. After I replaced it with recommended card it never happened since then. Use clear, formatted storage exclusively for the camera. I observed though, little but significant power loss when off but it is "just" 1-3% per 24h. In the meantime i did update so maybe it helped as well but i think its definetely card issue. For now I dont have serious problems besides that i broke my frame mount and my distributor doesnt have them in stock xD Just like spare batteries. Believe youll need it or powerbank for sure ;p

Explorer

[ New ]
Your SD card is causing the drain. My Hero5 Black was charged and not used since last Thursday. I turned it on today and had full bars. Filmed for over an hour and still have a bar left.
Of course, I fully charge my cameras before turning them on for the first time and then run a manual update before ever using the camera. I also use Samsung Pro SD cards.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Yeah I figured. I am also using a fresh Samsung 128 sd card which the GP5 formatted.

So based on the comments on the forum does that mean I need to remove my card (possibly even my battery) every time I turn off the device? Seems like an irritating workaround for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Is GoPro actually looking into this? The reason I ask is that I'm still within my 28 day returns period and happy to try a different brand, possible one of those Sony action cams.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I can't believe GoPro have not found a resolution to this problem. I found that if you connect to this device via wifi with your mobile device, it leaves the device in standby mode making the unit drain battery when it is off. You may think it is off but it is in standby mode waiting for your mobile device to connect to it. I turned the wifi connection off and the battery no longer drains, hope that helps.

Explorer

[ New ]

I just turned my GoPro Hero 5 black on after having it off for the last 4 days the battery was still nearly full. I'm not sure what the issue is with your camera although I do suspect it might be your SD card or the firmware. Try a different card and re upload the firmware on your camera. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you need to contact customer service directly so they can possibly get you a replacement. To say that GoPro hasn't addressed the issue isn't really valid considering there are plenty of hero5 cameras out there that don't have this issue.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

The camera turns off wi-fi but goes into bluetooth mode for 8 hours.  This allows the camera to be turned on remotely.  On previous cameras this was a real pain because to have the remote/app turn the camera on you had to have the wi-fi on.  The cameras would sit in standby with wi-fi for about 2 hours and then the battery would die.  The way the cameras are set up now you can set up your camera and have it in standby for a much longer period of time and be able to remotely turn the camera on.  If you are having excessive drain after turning your camera off remotely, I suggest pressing the settings button to turn the camera back on and then manually turning off the connections.  It might also work by just turning the camera on and then off manually.  Just make sure the Capture app isn't running or it might try to reconnect.

Tourist

[ New ]

I suffered the battery drain issue on my GoPro Hero Silver 4 for a long time but the problem was fixed for me by updating the firmware, it's been a whole lot better and can last for days instead of hours now when in standby.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks everyone for the varous pieces of advice. 

My original GP5 failed to function correctly after a firmware update but my second GP5 seems to be okay after the latest firmware update.The battery still drains, but the speed of which has massively decreased.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@danielr15That is what I meant to say, it goes into bluetooth standby when you turn off the go-pro, I think this is why the battery drains. Because when I turn that feature off, my gopro shows full battery after I turn it on after 4 days.

Anonymous

[ New ]

If you leave the WiFi on, the battery will drain because the wifi radio remains on.  This is normal.  The problem folks are having here is that even with the WiFi turned off, the camera still drains the batteries in a few hours.

Joe