Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Battery drain when off

2 year old GoPro? I assume the battery drain issue is relatively new? If so, is probably just your battery that needs to be replaced. Lithium batteries have a limited life span and number of charges.
Tourist

The camera still drains even with the new courtesy battery supplied by gopro.
Tourist

Same here. I did everything that may help, format/no sd, update, reset, new battery and it still drains fast.
I think it started after latest firmware upgrade.
I'm wondering why Gopro is not providing any working solution for such a common problem.
Sightseer

I have the same problem with my GoPro 3+. I have 2 batteries and it happens with both of them.  It is making using the camera very difficult.

Explorer

If it is happening with different batteries it's most likely your SD card causing the battery drain. Get a new card (preferably a Lexar 1000X/1800X or Samsung Pro).
Highlighted
Hiker

Before you go buy a new card for a camera that is most likely broken, try it with no card in it.  If it still does it with no card, then you know that's not the problem.  

Follow the steps listed in this thread.  Reinstall the latest software.  Make sure the WiFi is off....   If it still goes dead, then you have the same problem a lot of other folks do. The camera has an internal drain.  

I hope that that is not the case because the only fix is to replace the camera.

Joe

Explorer

Interestingly enough, I've found that once you have the battery drain with a bad card, it still continues even with the card out.  In most cases the battery drain is from the camera continuing to scan the card but is running into errors.  Once this occurs, it seems that only by placing a good card into the camera will the issue go away.  I suspect that the processor must get stuck in some sort of loop.  I'm not 100% sure on this by any means, but I did have a Hero3 Silver that was having really bad battery drain with a SanDisk Ultra.  I took the card out, charged the camera and the battery drained like usual.  I tried this several times and always the same result.  The camera was very unreliable and I ended up buying a Hero3+ Black with a new SD card (I think it was a Lexar 633x).  One day I decided to try the Lexar from the Hero3+ in the Hero3 because I was getting SD Errr in the H3.  I charged the camera, formated and put the Hero3 manual update on the Lexar card and inserted it into the camera.  Not only did the errors go away, the battery drain stopped as well.

It could be that the manual update fixed the error, although I always keep my cameras up to date with the latest update.

If possible, always try to use a card that you already own. Format it and put the latest manual firmware update folder on the card.+

I believe if you purchase a new card (get the Lexar) from GoPro and it doesn't work, you have 30 days to return it.  You should verify this with the Support Team. https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus Also, amazon.com has a good return policy as well.

Regards,

Daniel

Tourist

Once again:

1. Battery drains without any SD card at all.

2. Using new properitary Battery.

3. Manual update and reset been made.

What do i do now?