Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Battery drain when off

Please read through all of these post. Most people were able to resolve this issue with a new (Not Sandisk) SD card and a manual update. Cards that seen to work best are Lexar 1000X and Samsung Pro.

Hiker

A few days ago I bit the bullet and purchased a 128g samsung pro+ as prescribed by the GoPro website in my H5B.

Surprisingly, the battery drain issue was over.  I left GPS and WiFi on in my H5B overnight at 75% battery life.  After 24 hours I turned it back on and it's still at 75% battery life.

It's still warm to operate but not surprisingly hot compared to my previous card Strontium Nitro.

Explorer

Thanks for reporting your experience.  I hope that it will assist others.

Anonymous

@danielr15 wrote:

Please read through all of these post. Most people were able to resolve this issue with a new (Not Sandisk) SD card and a manual update. Cards that seen to work best are Lexar 1000X and Samsung Pro.

Hi Dan,

I'm not sure what posts you are referring to, but most folks are fixing this problem by replacing the camera.  So far only one person claims a repair by replacing the card, and it's not a Silver 4.  If this problem is present even when no card is installed, it is unlikely that the problem with the Silver 4 is the cards.

Joe

Tourist

FWIW I fixed the issue with my GoPro Hero Silver 4 by updating the firmware, I had no need to change my SD card.

Tourist

Hello, 

I have the sami issue with GoPro 4 Silver, battery draining overnight.
First i thought that the battery is not good and changed it to another original one.
Then i tried:

1. Formatting the card - no improvement

2. Upgrading the firmware - no improvement

3. Leaving the camera without SD card - no improvment.

What to check more?

Regards

Explorer

You can try a hard reset, I think it's the same as Hero3.

Fully charge your camera

Take out the SD card and battery.

Press and hold the front mode button for 30 seconds - 1 minute

Hold the shutter button down for 30 seconds

While still holding the shutter replace only the battery and power on

When the camera finishes powering on release the shutter and power off

Format your SD card in your computer (FAT for 32GB or less, exFAT if bigger)

Download the MANUAL update https://gopro.com/update/hero4

Put the Update (not Update.zip) folder on the SD card and the Eject (right click>Eject on PC)

Put the SD card in your camera

Turn the camera on

Hopefully this helps,

Daniel

Tourist

Same problem here. I followed all of the troubleshooting steps and my2 year old gopro 4 silver still drains within hours. I am so disappointed because gopro support will not fix or replace it and whats worse is the fact that they have offered a 20% discount on the purchase of a new one. Seriously, I would never purchase anything else from gopro again. You are on your own folks. There is nothing they can do to fix the battery drain issue.