Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Battery drain when off

Hello, 
I'm ''glad'' that my camera for which I paid 350€ is useless. I assumed that after a couple of years the battery had died, I bought a new one, and then I find that there is no problem with the battery. As I read from other users, the problem is clear and on the manufacturer's side. You just do not want to admit it.

Do you have any suggestions what to do now with the camera?
Thanks for the reply.

Regards, 
Grega
GoPro

Hello @redpike6006

Sorry to hear about your camera. It would be best to get in touch with our support team so they can look into options for you. You can reach them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

I actually have the same issue with my Go Pro 2018. I fully charged it, but then the next day I opened it it said it was low battery

GoPro

Hello @sweetmesa44433

Has this always been the case? See if there are features on the camera that are on like Wi-Fi that could potentially consume battery power. To determine the integrity of the battery, and to isolate whether this is an issue with the camera or the battery, perform a short record time test following  instructions here.  Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

Dear gopro,

I have a gopro hero 6 black which I ordered in the UK last november (2017). I have been travelling since January across India and south east asia. I love the camera and have taken some great videos and pictures with it. For the last couple of months, however, I have been having a problem with it, similar to the issues described in this thread - my camera has been draining the battery when it is turned off! I have followed all the advice suggested:

- I have manually updated the firmware to the latest version (could not seem to get the automatic update via the app to work)
- I have formatted the SD card (which is a SanDisk extreme PRO, as recommended by GoPro)
- I have tried a different SD card
- I have tried different batteries and am certain the issue is not with the battery (I own four different batteries for this camera - all official GoPro batteries).
- I have also tried removing the SD card and the battery drain still occurs.

None of those things solved the issue. I do not know the exact time it takes for the battery to drain but a fully charged battery will be empty within 24 hours if left in the camera. The same batteries do not drain (at any notable rate) when left out of the camera. The battery life when the camera is on may have also been affected.

I did not experience this issue when my camera was new it has only been the last couple of months. I am currently in Australia and will be here for the next year or so, therefore cannot simply exchange the camera at the store I bought it. Can you please advise if I can take my camera for repair or replacement as it is still under warranty?

I have tried to open a support case via chat on gopro.com/help/ContactUs but it says that chat is closed and is currently unavailable to me - please help!

I have also tried to send this via email to customerservices.gopro.com (an address I found on a different thread) but the email was not delivered as the recipient address was rejected?! Please help!

Best wishes, 

James

Hiker

Hi, This is exactly what happened to my GPH4 Black. I'm well out of warranty so now I have an action camera that is never ready for action.

I found this info on a different rant about the same problem with a GoPro Fusion:

"First, you'll want to make sure that the wifi connection from the camera is turned off when you turn the camera off. Leaving that connection on can drain power even when the camera appears to be off. If the wifi and the camera are both off and you're still getting significant battery drain, please contact the Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs."

If no response within 48 hours I would take it to social media. Twitter seems to get companies to respond very quickly to complaints.

You are not the only one and this problem is not specific to a particular model/year. Its the recurring problem year after year and nothing is ever done about it. You will get a relacement if its still under warranty though.

Keep this post updated with your results, Thanks and good luck

Tourist

Forgot to mention in my first post that I also tried turning off the wi-fi, GPS and the voice control but none of those things stopped the battery from draining either.

I already tried to contact the support team via the chat option on  https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs but it simply said "chat is currently unavailable to you".

Good advice thanks, I am hoping GoPro will respond quickly - my only other option is to try phoning the support number for Australia where I am currently but I was hoping the chat/email would be sufficient. I will for sure take it to social media if I don't have any luck.

Thanks

Sightseer

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I am experiencing the same thing on my GoPro Hero 7 Black.   Would the recommended practice be to power the GoPro down and then remove the battery every time you are done using it?

Thanks.

Tim