Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Battery drain on Hero4

My hero4 has always had a battery drain issue. I just attributed it to the battery that i was purchasing. Leave the camera off and let it sit over night, and the battery would only last about 30 minutes.  I didn't do any fancy testing like the fellow did with the infra red to show heat, but appears that the Hero4 has had a problem all along - why was I not notified of this issue when it came out ?  I have about 8 GoPro batteries for my hero4 here that I purchased and come to find out they are not the problem but the camera has been the issue all along?  Really ? then i look further in the support pages here, it appears the later models also suffer from this issue.  What can we do about this? firmware is not the issu as i have been at the latest 5.x since it came out. HELP 

Nomad

Re: Battery drain on Hero4

I never had a battery drain issue with any of my GP4 Black's when using GoPro batteries.  The only time I had one was when using knock off batteries, they wouldn't hold a charge in the camera or out of it.

Have you made sure that your Wireless is turned off?

GoPro

Hi @jimcoder

If you are getting shorter recording times than expected, please go over the steps on this link.

Our Support Team should also  be able to help you move forward with this concern.

Please reach out to them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

the record time is not the issue, rather it is the battery's ability to hold a charge. they typically don't hold a charge overnight. It's like there is something draining the power even when it is supposed to be powered off.  I get the about 2 - 3 hours with a new battery for record. the issue is with the camera being turned off  - even with charged battery.  

Explorer

"What can we do about this?"
"the record time is not the issue"
"they typically don't hold a charge overnight"

There appears to be a very simple solution to your issue.

Take the battery out after it's done charging (or use the dual charger). Put the battery in the camera just before you decide to use it.
Nomad

I find it interesting that you're getting 2 - 3 hours per battery when fully charged, I've never gotten over an hour out of mine and GoPro's official figures fall short of any 2 hour claims.

I've never had a battery drain issue with any of my GP4 Hero Blacks using official GoPro batteries.  The only time I have had a battery drain issue is when using non standard GoPro Hero 4 batteries that refused to hold a charge in camera or out of the camera.

Tourist

i don't use the wireless.  and this is when the camera is "off".

thanks however.

jc

Tourist

that's fine but then you are setting the date / time every time.  I didn't buy this to have to do that.

thanks