Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Battery drain is too quick

I updated my new GoPro 7 black to latest update. After using to record few videos I think the battery is draining yoo quickly, I mean for 5 mins of video it went down 10% . Is that normal?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Battery drain is too quick

First, there have been many people on this site who are reporting issues with their camera and battery. The link provided above will take you to that post.

As far as if 10% in 5 mins of video is normal, it will help if you can provide resolution/frame rate and whatever other features/settings you are using.

With Wi-Fi, GPS, Protune, and Voice Control off and in optimal conditions, 4K/60fps is listed to use 100% battery life in 45-50 minutes.
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hero7-battery-information

You recorded 5 mins and used 10%. The speed of battery drain can vary during recording, but using your numbers as a constant:
5min = 10%
10min = 20%
15 min = 30%
20 min = 40%
25 min = 50%
30 min = 60%
35 min = 70%
40 min = 80%
45 min = 90%
50 min = 100%

So, if these were your settings, then yes, your camera is behaving normally.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Highlighted
Explorer

First, there have been many people on this site who are reporting issues with their camera and battery. The link provided above will take you to that post.

As far as if 10% in 5 mins of video is normal, it will help if you can provide resolution/frame rate and whatever other features/settings you are using.

With Wi-Fi, GPS, Protune, and Voice Control off and in optimal conditions, 4K/60fps is listed to use 100% battery life in 45-50 minutes.
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hero7-battery-information

You recorded 5 mins and used 10%. The speed of battery drain can vary during recording, but using your numbers as a constant:
5min = 10%
10min = 20%
15 min = 30%
20 min = 40%
25 min = 50%
30 min = 60%
35 min = 70%
40 min = 80%
45 min = 90%
50 min = 100%

So, if these were your settings, then yes, your camera is behaving normally.
Highlighted
Explorer

If you look at the chart you will also see that there are some resolutions that drain the battery faster and a few that drain is a little slower. Also, note that for all of these numbers, Wi-Fi, GPS, Protune, and Voice Control are all OFF, and GoPro mentions, "and in optimal conditions" which generally means cool laboratory type setting.

To be clear, I'm not saying these are great recording times. I'm just addressing if it's "Normal" for this particular camera to drain at this rate. In this case, I think it is.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks that explains everything. FYI I recorded 2 mins 4k 60 FPS, 30 Secs of Slomo 1080 p 240 fps & 8/10 photos and 1080p 60Fps of another 2.5 mins
Highlighted
Explorer

Thanks for posting back your settings. While not fantastic battery times, it does seem that your camera is behaving normally, or at least on par with GoPro specs.