Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Battery Warning: Cold Battery Alert

[ New ]

I am getting a Cold Batter Alert on my Hero 10 when I don't even have a battery in the camera. So when I start recording the screens go black and I can no longer see the front or rear screen. I use the Hero 9 this way because it keeps my GoPro from overheating. I use an external battery to power the camera and it works perfectly with the 9. Have not had an overheating issue since. 

With the 10, now I can't use this method because I get the warning. So I put the battery in to see what would happen and my power bank will charge the camera while idle, but once I hit record it stops charging. Why could you not START with the base level code from the 9 and then add the new stuff over it? Because now what I consider BASIC stuff does not work. Every year I try to give you guys the benefit of the doubt, and every year I am disappointed and have to find ways to hack your cameras to get them to work. It's quite frustrating.

I was SO excited when I got this today too. Even took this picture. But now I am about to put it back in the box and send it back because who knows how long until you update the firmware again.

GoPro10.png
Tourist

Re: Battery Warning: Cold Battery Alert

[ New ]

Just verified that I get the same results using the Media Mod. No battery, plugged into 10,000 mAh battery (all of this works fine on the 9) into the USB-C port of the Media Mod...at least with the media mod I get audio. With the 3.5mm mic adapter I do not get audio. Please update this ASAP.

Hiker

[ New ]

Same here

Hiker

[ New ]

Just came to the support site to say this! It doesn't have a problem when you use GoPro webcam just external power sources. Also confirmed that it happens when plugged directly into a wall charger too. Seems like the check for the battery temp sensor doesn't get turned off when no battery is connected.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi I came here to the forums to search for others who had the same issue. I too have to use my GoPro with external power because I need a fan over the battery slot to keep it from overheating.

My Hero 9 worked fine this way and the screen did not shut off. The new Hero 10 just says "Cold Battery Alert" when running without a battery and will not let you use the screen once recording has started. This needs to be fixed so that the camera works properly when using external power. I use this camera for driving timelapses (like a dash cam) and I'd like to be able to see the preview and time periodically without stopping the video recording.

GoPro, please update the software. The camera already knows there isn't a battery, should it should not produce a cold battery alert and limit the screen display time.

Backpacker

[ New ]

The next GoPro Hero 10 Firmware is scheduled for November.  It will add more frame rates to existing resolutions (24 & 30FPS frame rates that are missing from 5K), it will also add support for the Max Lens Mod.  No word on what other (if any) issues it will address.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem. I just bought the Hero 10 upgrade because the Hero 9 can record unattended for hours with external power.

I get the blank screen while recording with USB power. Hoping to get a fix so I don't have to return it for a Hero 9.

Adventurer

[ New ]

As gopro will correct and change out the prompt not a hard fix, they will switch on the  back only screen

Tourist

[ New ]
Well from another thread and reply from a GoPro admin, I thought they'd change the functionality back to that like on the Hero 9. So I think it'll be a full fix. Anyways, I never had a use for the front screen and I cover it with white electrical tape so it doesn't heat up as much.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Lol simply turn it off wit hthe shortcut

Tourist

[ New ]
Obviously you don't understand the problem.
Adventurer

[ New ]

and many do not have it.

https://youtu.be/Y30Na9eAmY8

If you like what you see hit that subscribe, I keep thing real. Thank you for viewing Please do not forget to Rate, Comment, and Subscribe The Gear I use:...
Tourist

[ New ]
Fishycomics, you missed the issue in your video.

The screen only stays on when recording for 1 time after removing the battery (when you did that trick of removing the battery while it was recording). After that, the screen doesn't turn on when recording & connected to external power. That is the main issue - that you aren't able to see the video as it's being recorded. Yes the video records fine, but we can't see the preview or wake the screen to see the running time.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Yes, I'm getting the same message. I'm really fed up with my Hero 10. It overheats, it switches on an off at will and suddenly I now have this problem with the 'cold battery' message telling my batttery is at les than 1C  when the temperature in the room where the GoPro has been for several days and nights is 20C! I also now have problems with the app on my iPhone.  I don't know if it's an IOS 15 problem or what but the app keeps telliimg me that blutooth is switched off when it isn't and the GoPro and App no longer communitcate. I've already missed some great video footage and am really really not happpy. Can anyone suggest what I need to do?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bravejump63616

What version is the camera on?

Can you please check if you observe the same on the Beta FW?

See https://community.gopro.com/t5/HERO10-Beta/ct-p/HERO10Beta

Thanks!

Ej