Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Battery Draining

[ New ]
I just bought a gopro hero 7 black. I charged it and noticed that the battery wouldnt charge to 100%. It stays at 98%. When I use it, the battery drains fast. Keep in mind I disabled 4k, voice command and wifi. What can be the problem?
Explorer

Re: Battery Draining

[ New ]
Be sure to do a manual update (even if you updated already) and are using a recommended SD card. There are two battery manufactures for GoPro. One tends to ship batteries that need a few full discharges before it works 💯%

Also, to know if your battery is draining faster than expected, you should do a proper test. Turn off connections, GPS, voice comments and lower the brightness on the LCD and make sure it's so to auto off after 1 min. Put the camera in 1080p/60fps with Protune off and start a recording. Let it record until the battery dies and see how long it last. It should record for about 85 minutes.

To manually update, you need a computer and USB/SD adapter. Download the UPDATE.zip file and then extract the UPDATE folder to your computer. Insert your SD card and then do a FULL (not quick) format of the card. Once it's done, copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) to the card. Eject the card and put it in your camera. Power on using the side Mode/Power button and allow it to compete. Once done, go to Preferences>Reset and format the SD in the camera. Go to reset and factory reset the camera. Remove the battery and SD, push the side Mode button for about 12 seconds and then reinsert just the battery and plug it in to a wall charger using the GoPro cable. It should charge to 100%.

For a list of recommended SD cards, see this article https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

I've personally been using the Samsung Evo Select 64 GB (128GB and 256GB cards, by any manufacture, seem to cause the most issues). The Evo Select is the same as EVO PLUS (not to be confused with EVO+, which won't work well), just rebranded for sale by Amazon. I was using SanDisk Extreme v30, and most work fine, but one started giving me freezing and weird battery drain issues so I stopped using them. Four out of five worked fine though.

Always format your card in the camera after and before a day recording. Whenever possible, sure the battery outside of the camera.

Explorer

[ New ]
Auto correct kinds killed what I wrote. Most seems legible, but the last line should read, whenever possible STORE the battery outside the camera.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you so mucho. I will do a manual update and discharge it. Thanks again
Tourist

[ New ]
Much**
Explorer

[ New ]
Best of luck. If you continue to have issues, you can give GoPro Support a call or set up a chat.

BTW, when you look at the top of your battery (by the connectors) is there a (+) and (-)? One manufacturer puts them on the battery, while the other does not. Also, what make, model, size SD card are you using?
Adventurer

[ New ]

Brand new camera and how many charges you have on the battery One and notice a drain.  the battery is not matured and needs about 5 cycles,    you do not need  to update, you may beed to  return the camera and get a new one if you have issues that can not get resolved, out of the box. the camera should work 100% out of the box, is it?

You may call gopro they will help you understand hte camera better, if you need to return  first where purchased from.

just MY humboe Opinion

Explorer

[ New ]

Out of the box is not the latest firmware which address the battery issue. Manual update most certainly is an important step. If you disagree, fine, but it's not going to hurt and is something I've done and had issues corrected, and is recommended by GoPro as well.

It's a little early to start talking returns/exchanges as well. Let's see if a full format of the SD, manual update, and camera factory reset work first. HERO5 Session is a great example of a camera that can have battery drain issues, but with an update and factory reset will work fine again (source: personal experience doing these steps after reading this solution on other forums and seeing YouTube videos of it working).