Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Battery Drain Hero 8

Hello all,

I updated from my H4 to a H8. Off course i read the issues about battery drain. I´m not sure if i´m affected. 
I loose abt. 1% per h, when cam switched off. Is this normal or is it a drain?

Of course connections are switched of. Only GPS is switched on. I will try what happen, if GPS is switched off, too.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Battery Drain Hero 8

Hello @riddla80

Were you able to complete the software update?

If not, it will be best to update the camera manually. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero8-black

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, i was able. GoPro shows Version 1.2
Highlighted
Tourist

I am experiencing the same thing. Did manual update, have voice control turned off, wifi turned off, quick capture turned off, GPS turned off.  Goes from 100% to 90% in about 8 hours overnight.  Then I used it today for less than 10 minutes on 2.7K and went to 42%.  I've been using other action cams, but finally made the leap to GoPro with the Hero 8 and so far, not impressed.  I shouldn't be having to do internet research to troubleshoot a brand new $400 camera that I have had for 3 days, only to find out this has been an ongoing issue with previous Heros? Why have those features if I have to leave them off?  Wondering if I should return it before it's too late.....

Highlighted
Tourist

@elizabethm717 wrote:

I am experiencing the same thing. Did manual update, have voice control turned off, wifi turned off, quick capture turned off, GPS turned off.  Goes from 100% to 90% in about 8 hours overnight.  Then I used it today for less than 10 minutes on 2.7K and went to 42%.  I've been using other action cams, but finally made the leap to GoPro with the Hero 8 and so far, not impressed.  I shouldn't be having to do internet research to troubleshoot a brand new $400 camera that I have had for 3 days, only to find out this has been an ongoing issue with previous Heros? Why have those features if I have to leave them off?  Wondering if I should return it before it's too late.....

And I just looked at my shipping invoice and went to the link they provided for returns (gopro.com/help/articles/Biock/Warranty-Information and it is a bad link. Comes up as no page found. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

It's a low capacity lithium ion battery. You cant expect much out of that. Blackvue sells these batteries for NZ$40 each which is dirt cheap. May pay to get a couple of these. One major NZ Retailer states that this cam will release 23 October, 2 days away NZT. 

Highlighted
Hiker

Those of you experiencing battery drain, does the small red light on the back of the camera stay on all the time, even when you turn the camera off? I'm seeing a battery drain at a similar rate, and that light stays on all the time unless I pull out the battery.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @sweetmesa28185. The HERO8 Black that I have does not show the same behavior. The red LED at the back (upper-left portion of the rear screen side) turns off once the camera is powered off and I have not observed any battery drain. If you haven't done it yet, try manually updating your camera firmware and do a factory reset after. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!