Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Batteries from Hero5 in Hero8

Hi.  I have a new GoPro Hero 8 Black. I have batteries from old Hero 5 Black. Parameters and measurments on both types are the same. Is it possible to use batteries from 5 in 8? 
Thank you in advance

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Batteries from Hero5 in Hero8

The answer is yes. There is a message on the Hero8 that indicates that all features will not be taken into account. But after many tries, I still have not found what's changing.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Explorer

HERO8 can use HERO5/6/7 Black batteries. GoPro just cautions that some of the higher resource functions might not consistently work as well (High resolution/frame rate, Hypersmooth High/Boost). This is most likely to be apparent in extreme temperatures, during prolonged continuous recordings, and/or when the battery level gets low).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

The answer is yes. There is a message on the Hero8 that indicates that all features will not be taken into account. But after many tries, I still have not found what's changing.

Highlighted
Explorer

HERO8 can use HERO5/6/7 Black batteries. GoPro just cautions that some of the higher resource functions might not consistently work as well (High resolution/frame rate, Hypersmooth High/Boost). This is most likely to be apparent in extreme temperatures, during prolonged continuous recordings, and/or when the battery level gets low).
Highlighted
Tourist

Thak you Patrick for good news👍
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you Daniel. Very valuable info. KR

Highlighted
Hiker

I had the same question and precisely described it as follows to the GoPro support:

I have a Hero5 Black as well as a Hero7 Black. With both cameras I am using the same batteries: AABAT-001-EU and charger AADBD-001-EU   

I just received my new Hero8 from you which comes with a battery that has a blue edge and is listed on your website with part number AJBAT-001. The website however says that it is compatible with HERO8 Black / HERO7 Black / HERO6 Black There also is a new charger called AJDBD-001-EU which is listed as compatible with HERO8 Black / HERO7 Black

Both my old and the new batteries supposedly have 1220mAh power and no other obvious spec difference.

Question 1: Can I use the new “blue” battery AJBAT-001 which came with the GoPro8 in my old charger AADBD-001-EU or do I need to buy a new charger?

Question 2: Can I use my old black batteries AABAT-001-EU in my new GoPro8 or do I need to buy new spare batteries? 

GoPro Customer Service answer:

Yes, about your 1st question, you can use the battery with Blue on the bottom using your old charger.

Yes you can use the old batteries of your HERO5 and Hero 7 with the HERO8 but you will not be able to experience the Hypersmooth 2.0., or it is somehow disabled. For some reason, only the Battery with Blue at the bottom will be able to deliver the Hypersmooth 2.0 flawlessly.

I then asked whether this is documented anywhere in the product descriptions of the website? To which the GoPro CS Rep replied: 

"We don't have an article yet about the said information, however, if you are reading reddit, I already saw it there on the GoPro Community aside from the fact that they also mentioned that during our training.

[...] It says on engadget that "If you were hoping for some more practical updates, like improved battery life, then there's not really any news here. While the Hero 8 has an updated battery, it's still 1,220mAh as before. (The difference is that it offers a higher max output, which is needed for some of the new features.) "

Highlighted
Explorer

I tested both today. For just normal use, walking and light shake/vibration, there is no difference (in all resolutions) that I could tell. However, when I tested stabilization in 2.7K/120fps and 1080p/240fps it did look better with the blue call battery when I did hard fast shakes.
Highlighted
GoPro

Previous Batteries will work with the HERO8 Black with limitations. Users may see performance issues when shooting in high performance modes. For this reason, we suggest only using the HERO8 Battery in the HERO8 Black camera. 

The Dual Battery Charger has not changed and will work with both types of batteries.

For further reference, you can also check out this article