Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Baseball Game Recording Settings and Storage

[ New ]

Hi All,

I just got a GoPro to record my sons travel baseball games for which I am a coach. I have never owned a camera before. I am looking for advice on recording settings. We've had two games so far.

The first game I recorded and it worked perfectly. The file sizes were large but had no issues and looked great.

I kept those same settings for game two and now I don't think I can download the footage to my computer to edit before uploading to YouTube. I'm afraid that game will be lost or stuck on my memory card.

I was recording in with 2.7K and 60 Frames per second. This was the default activity setting. 

Any advice on what settings I should be using? Keep in mind I like to go frame by frame as much as possible and pull shots out to help coach our hitters. 

Also how do you store your footage? I am uploading as private videos on Youtube, but I would also like to store the games for myself somewhere since I can't control what Youtube takes down. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Baseball Game Recording Settings and Storage

[ New ]

Just buy an external hard drive, attach it to your PC via the USB cable.  

What I do then is create folders on the hard drive by date followed by a brief description.  Then copy my GoPro Footage into those folders.  That way everything stays nice and organized.  Remember, always "copy" your footage, don't "Cut".  This means if there's any errors or you get interrupted, the footage is still on the card and you can continue later.  If you "Cut" the footage and get interupted, you may lose data.

This is the hard drive that I use:

https://amzn.to/3gkp4xd 

It's 5TB, so it's going to be a while before you manage to fill it up.  Also it's USB powered, so no need for extra power cables or messes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

Just buy an external hard drive, attach it to your PC via the USB cable.  

What I do then is create folders on the hard drive by date followed by a brief description.  Then copy my GoPro Footage into those folders.  That way everything stays nice and organized.  Remember, always "copy" your footage, don't "Cut".  This means if there's any errors or you get interrupted, the footage is still on the card and you can continue later.  If you "Cut" the footage and get interupted, you may lose data.

This is the hard drive that I use:

https://amzn.to/3gkp4xd 

It's 5TB, so it's going to be a while before you manage to fill it up.  Also it's USB powered, so no need for extra power cables or messes.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks so much for this info. Maybe it's the editor I am using, but when I go to edit the videos together the video editor take the footage from the card and copies it to the computer before I can edit it. This is where I run into problems. If the computer doesnt have the memory then I cant get it into the editor before saving the finished video?

Does that make sense?